Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct 2016 Lite Challenge: The Knights of Camelot

Liking this a lot!

This is looking fantastic! Liking it lots.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This map is coming along really nicely, I'm enjoying the colour and especially the environment around the castle, I like that it isn't just floating in air. The line of the horizon… I feel like it could be rougher, but really the horizon generally looks pretty flat when it's far away. I'm not sure but it seems like something about the height of the horizon line is off relative to the angle of view of the castle. Maybe?

I was just enjoying reading about the knights and spotted a few things. I think there's an extra comma after Ser Lancelot's name in his text. The word "stabbed" is out of place in Tristan's story. Ser Gareth should probably meet 'an' accidental death, and Ser Lamorak needs to choose whether he is 'in the' or 'among' the fellowship, but probably not both.

Aesthetically, the text of the final column of knights' shields is very close to their names, particularly Tristan and Gareth.

Congrats on a very fine piece!

cheers,
    Meshon

Really nice, type is spot on love it! watch for widows (one word on the last line.).

Maybe the shields are 95% size, would give them a little room to breath.

Love the plan views as mostly black & white with that slight touch of a color - perfect.

OK - I still would like to see the illustration bigger, its so nice!! what if you enlarged it and the green grass bleeds (feathers) a little more behind the shield box and floor plans????? Castle 120% larger??

Great job!!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Liking this a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is looking fantastic! Liking it lots.
    Thanks guys, pleased you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    This map is coming along really nicely, I'm enjoying the colour and especially the environment around the castle, I like that it isn't just floating in air. The line of the horizon… I feel like it could be rougher, but really the horizon generally looks pretty flat when it's far away. I'm not sure but it seems like something about the height of the horizon line is off relative to the angle of view of the castle. Maybe?

I was just enjoying reading about the knights and spotted a few things. I think there's an extra comma after Ser Lancelot's name in his text. The word "stabbed" is out of place in Tristan's story. Ser Gareth should probably meet 'an' accidental death, and Ser Lamorak needs to choose whether he is 'in the' or 'among' the fellowship, but probably not both.

Aesthetically, the text of the final column of knights' shields is very close to their names, particularly Tristan and Gareth.

Congrats on a very fine piece!

cheers,
    Meshon
    Thanks Meshon! I know what you mean about the horizon and have been going ot play around with it a bit to see if I can get something that definitely gels. Also, thanks for all the proofing, it helps a lot and saves me the time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Really nice, type is spot on love it! watch for widows (one word on the last line.).

Maybe the shields are 95% size, would give them a little room to breath.

Love the plan views as mostly black & white with that slight touch of a color - perfect.

OK - I still would like to see the illustration bigger, its so nice!! what if you enlarged it and the green grass bleeds (feathers) a little more behind the shield box and floor plans????? Castle 120% larger??

Great job!!
    Cheers snodsy, that helps a lot. I was thinking about bleeding the grass in behind the rest already, and may try to enlarge the castle itself to see how it looks (and since you are sooo determined to get it big! )

Nice suggestion about the shields. The text is a little tight around some of them, and that would free up a bit of space to play with and help reduce those widows (never heard that term before, but I'm going to use it from now on! ).

Hopefully, I'll get another update on here soon.

Okay, a quick update. I haven't got any further with the top down view after all that, but I've made a fair few changes based on people's suggestions (yes, the castle is larger now, Snodsy, and looks better for it too! ). I've corrected the spelling/grammar issues pointed out, or at least I think I have and got rid of those "widows."

Also, having been inspired by J. Edward's great fairytale piece, I decided to add a light brickwork to the castle, which took a little while, but I think was worth it. As always, let me know what you guys think and I hope you like it!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camelot The Size Changing Castle.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	88274

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good call on adding that brickwork - really adds depth and texture. A great looking piece all around!

Looks awesome!!

Maybe a shadow on ground and the backside of the forests. Maybe the campsite brown goes all the way to the water's edge or blended out more?

I could see the case 10% bigger???? and feather the green so it's about where it is now??

Can the inner border pick up the dark brown in the outer border? Pay no attention to the man behind the keyboard.

I agree with snodsy about the brown of the campsite and I4d add that a little variety for the castle plan's ground wouldn't hurt. Beside that, a great piece !

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Good call on adding that brickwork - really adds depth and texture. A great looking piece all around!
    Thanks, Diamond. Though really, I should be thanking J.Edward for inspiring that.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Looks awesome!!

Maybe a shadow on ground and the backside of the forests. Maybe the campsite brown goes all the way to the water's edge or blended out more?

I could see the case 10% bigger???? and feather the green so it's about where it is now??

Can the inner border pick up the dark brown in the outer border? Pay no attention to the man behind the keyboard.
    Thanks, Snodsy! Already on the job with the tree shadowing, so that's fine. As for the campsite, I think I'll blend it out a bit more as it's a little strong on its own at the moment. I'll give the feather a go and maybe try increasing the castle again.

I assume you mean behind the shields with the dark brown on the inner border? In which case, it does have a background colour, but I accidentally turned off the layer before saving the pic.

*EDIT* - think I know what you mean now about the border.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    I agree with snodsy about the brown of the campsite and I4d add that a little variety for the castle plan's ground wouldn't hurt. Beside that, a great piece !
    Cheers, Thomrey! Yep, I'm hoping the variety will be added a bit more when the furnishings are added. They are currently subtly different in texturing, but in terms of doors placement and stairs, they're definitely going to be the same.
    Last edited by Greg; 10-07-2016 at 05:27 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast