Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Navigating a New England Harbor

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Beautiful work, man. I really admire your use of color and line with your elevations. I've learned a lot from you just watching you develop your maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Beautiful work, man. I really admire your use of color and line with your elevations. I've learned a lot from you just watching you develop your maps!

Thanks Diamond appreciate that, this style is working for me pretty good, basically add a low elevation topoline and a high elevation topoline, then starting filling inbetween, the more line the higher it feels, and of course the spacing is important. HOWEVER I'm having an issue with this map - I live in the Ohio Valley, shale and limestone - stacked sediments - lent themselves well to my local maps --- but Marblehead is granite and has a different geology - so I don't think this style is really true to the map. I was thinking of finishing this one, then trying one that feel more monumental stone.??? or adding some vertical lines and eliminate some horizotnals on this one. Not sure, just my internal issues with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I agree about the rhumb lines. I think they look better in areas where there is little else to look at - like the sea. Now that you've started adding more detail to the land they just wouldn't look right.

The colours are all very tightly controlled towards grey. Are you intending to keep it that way? It gives the land a kind of foreboding feel to it, but maybe that was your intention?

I've only just noticed the surf, even though it was there all the time! LOL! nice work Snodsy
    Mouse I think I will stay pretty monotone with this one. May do a couple options as well. Thanks for the comments.

Oooh, I haven't seen this yet. Very lovely so far.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Really amazing map, I really like the locale. I'm very intrigued by your comment about representing the geology. You are indeed a careful Cartographer...

Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Looks awesome so far!

Wip

Latest Update, more of everything - forests, boats, stairs, house, fort.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewEnglandHarbor4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	88244

I just love your maps.

Are you nearly done with it yet? I can't imagine that there would be that much more detail to be added.

It looks pretty finished to me

Looks amazing!
    One very small thing, but I don't know if you noticed is that at the group of three trees on the very left has one of the cliff lines running over top of them. Another tiny thing is that the lighthouse is worse quality than the rest of the map, you wouldn't noticed either of those things unless you were looking very hard.

Guild Expert

I would never in a million years think to use such a grey'd out palette, but this is just stunning, and very inspiring. I really like the colours, and those cliffs just top the cake. This is definitely one to look up to, great job so far.

Wip

Two versions - one is higher contrast and brighter = preference??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewEnglandHarbor6.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	88275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewEnglandHarbor6Contrast.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	88276

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast