Thread: Gurondar - Regional Map

Map Gurondar - Regional Map

This is my first digital map. It's just a map of the regions. Let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	5.99 MB 
ID:	88230

Guild Expert

Congratulations on finishing you're first digital map Britt! And good job! If this is you're first then I can't wait to see what you do with you're second.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Really great first digital map Britt! It would be nice to see the ocean with some texture on it, but otherwise a real promising piece of things to come!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I worked for nearly 12 straight hours on my day off to get some labeling on the map. Let me tell you, coming up with a bunch names for places that don't exist is harder than drawing the darn thing. I had some of the information for finishing the map but, I lost a lot of it over the years and, trying to come up with reasonable sounding stuff that was close to what was originally intended was taxing. I don't recommend trying to do it all in one sitting. In fact, I plan on revisiting this map and improving it over a more reasonable time frame. I have a lot of cities and locations that can be added and, the rose can be better as well as the border... just, not in one day.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

In case I didn't mention it elsewhere. This map is the recreation of a huge hand drawn map that was lost along with most of the information about the world. I have some of the info but, most of it is being redone from memory.
    Last edited by britt; 10-05-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Clarity

Don't know if you tried any of these fantasy name generators - here's one --- http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

Really nice map, your light green starts to read as a sun light hitting the region (maybe back down the lightness of the color ?) I really like your landforms, they are quite nice. Overall color and forest are really well done.

I think for the most part your rivers are good, but not sure the Dolonor Forest LAKE would drain both directions. There are others here who are more versed in this area. Great job overall, especially a 1st map.

Very nice work britt
    Your first map looks way better than my first map.

Gongrats on your first digital map! First of many, I'm hoping. The coatlines look a little pixelated, and I do agree with GLS that some ocean texture would be nice, but other than that, great work! Especially for a first map.

Cool map, Britt What software are you using?

Just curious - I might like to have a go with it

I started on the map with just Gimp then someone mentioned Wilbur for height maps and, so I used that to help with the land texturing and with the plateaus. So that's it, just Gimp and Wilbur.

Overall I am fairly pleased with how the map turned out. After playing with Wilbur I think I could do the mountains a lot better. The coastline is pixelated because of a filtering mistake .. I was doing a lot of experimenting. Hopefully, I still have a pristine layer of the coastline somewhere but, the number of saves and the number of layers started to get me confused... we'll see if I can find it.

Well you're doing one better than me. I tried but I can't get my head around GIMP!

Actually, you're doing twice better than me, since I downloaded Wilbur, but just haven't had the time to sit down and learn a new piece of software since installing it.

You're already doing really well. Keep up the good work