Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lands of Trolnarm

And the second chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Would it help to very slightly shade the front of the first bit of that label?

Anyhow. I think we are all agreed that you absolutely have to do a series of these maps. That would be a dreamer's idea of heaven
    I could maybe try to fix it, but sometimes you just learn from it for next time
    Haha, well, I was thinking of showing the dragon area and maybe the far wood.... so... maybe
    Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    J.Edward, you never cease to amaze me! This is an absolute fairy tale beauty!!! I love the farmland, the old leaning tower.... and pretty much everything else!

And happy belated birthday!
    Thank you Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Truly beautiful! It belongs right at home with the maps in Redwall and Watership Down.
    Thank you J That is high praise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew VE View Post
    Beautiful and inspiring. Amazing work!
    I also noticed it was your birthday, so happy belated birthday!
    Thanks Matthew
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Amazing!
    Can't really say more. I am speechless
    Thanks Voolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Shards View Post
    Beautiful work!

I think you achieved the fairytale look very well by all of those turrets and having them a little topsy-turvy is a great little touch.

Your landscaping is just wow... especially those slices of rock formations over the troll cave!!
    Thanks so much Shards
    Quote Originally Posted by onez View Post
    Beautiful map!
    I like everything about it, the colour palette, the typography, and the somehow 'wobbly' linework.
    I also think it is remarkable how you managed to keep the colours toned down just enough to perfectly integrate with the handmade linework.

Excellent job!

If I had to nitpick I'd only say that an illustrated title banner (The Lands of Trolnarm) for the map would probably add to its already powerful charm.
    Thanks Filippo
    Yeah, I had thought of doing a banner title for it while I was drawing it... but it just didn't happen.
    I'm still not sure where i would put it if I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    And he strikes again ! Another beautiful one, John. The parchments for labels are top-notch and the ambiance very "fairy". I do have a question : will you do some very non-realistic and very pointy peaks one day ?
    Thank you Ilanthar
    I will have to do a pointy peak map sometime. I started one or two, but they always change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obbehobbe View Post
    [Insert what everyone else have said here] + [more awesome response]
    Haha, thank you Obbe

Due to lack of better words... Wow!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I love this map so much! It is brilliant! Always looking forward to see your work

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Due to lack of better words... Wow!
    Thank you Josiah
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    I love this map so much! It is brilliant! Always looking forward to see your work
    Thanks so much Francesca

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    The color took a good bit longer. I started out trying to do a water color style more similar to the Haldeshar map. I liked it but felt it was the wrong style for this one.
    So I erased that and started over. I feel like I spent 12-20 hours on the color, maybe more. Not sure. So total... maybe 40 hours or so. Maybe a bit more.
    Is it possible you could tell more how do you achive this kind of style. It is somehow simillar to Schley's work. I would like to know how do you color this.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Whenever I think maps can't get more beautiful you or one of the others here prove the difference to me. Great piece, J.!

Is it possible you could tell more how do you achive this kind of style. It is somehow simillar to Schley's work. I would like to know how do you color this.
    Hey Voolf,
    Part of what makes this sort of piece look the way it does is the process, but part is the layer property as it lays over a textured paper.
    If it were on a plain white background, it would look different and probably less dramatic.
    I draw many maps on Strathmore 300 series charcoal paper, which has a nice texture for the pencil to grab on. It also has a nice horizontal line quality to the paper texture.
    It is a light cream colored paper. I adjust it some when I scan in the pencil drawing - sometimes dropping the saturation, sometimes raising it - depending on what look I want for the finished work.

Once it gets into photoshop, I usually do multiply layers over the original pencil drawing layer.
    So all color layers are going to be multiply layers. Shadow layers are also multiply layers.
    I will finish with a highlight layer that is usually a softlight layer. Overlay tends to be a bit too strong and can alter colors more when doing highlights.
    Then I move on the text labels, though here I did the text labels on the original pencil drawing.
    Hope that helps. I'm not sure how Mike does his color. I do know that he uses more cool greens and I did use some cooler greens with this piece, so perhaps that is why it maybe has that look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Whenever I think maps can't get more beautiful you or one of the others here prove the difference to me. Great piece, J.!
    Thank you Wired I just keep trying to do new and varied things. I try to keep it interesting.

Thanks J.Edward! That was very informative. I am struggling myself now with colour and can't do it right, that is why i am trying to gather as much info as possible to help me get on the right track.

Looking forward to see your next maps!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I wanted to make a map that was like the ones you'd find in old fairy tale books from long ago.
    I feel like I may have achieved it with this one. You will decide for yourself though.

Attachment 88262
    That you have my friend. A very whimsical piece, and excellent execution.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks J.Edward! That was very informative. I am struggling myself now with colour and can't do it right, that is why i am trying to gather as much info as possible to help me get on the right track.

Looking forward to see your next maps!
    Well, if you have any other questions, just ask
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    That you have my friend. A very whimsical piece, and excellent execution.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast