Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October 2016 Challenge: Vampire Hunting in the 31st Century

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Wip October 2016 Challenge: Vampire Hunting in the 31st Century

Okay, I'm on a bit of a roll with challenge entries at the moment, so thought I continue that trend with an entry into this month's fangtastic idea.

As the title suggests, it is (or will be) a map from the future, though not from the 31st century, but actually the 34th looking back into the 31st, just to complicate things.

It's going to have a somewhat Victorian feel to it, maybe a bit of steampunk, but I haven't decided yet.

Here is a stupidly longwinded background to the future that is likely to be far more complex than the map will be

It will be located around the country at the heart of all vampire mythos: Romania Great Britain, which became the centre of The Vampiric Realms after Countess Marlock took favour to the appearance of London in, what she called, "the humorous little tale" by Bram Stoker.

The Countess' domination over mankind took only mere weeks after the initial invasion and by the end of the 29th century, humans only existed in small, hidden groups or in the bloodfarms. The vampires' need for these farms dwindled as their farming ability grew and thus by the year 3000, humans could only be found in these small colonies. Humans at this time had learnt a fair few things about the vampires, most importantly the fact that they could live thousands upon thousands and that the gestation period of vampires must have been in the hundreds of years. Consequently, the number of vampires had barely grown in their time on domination and so the humans trained themselves to hunt vampires.

Their knowledge was firstly derived from literature over a millenium old, but developed further from first hand experience. Vampires could be very strong, but their strength was not purely physical but more mental, somehow enticing, or coercing people with ease. For years, the humans searched for the mythical substance "Garlic", but alas it seemed to be just fabled. Salt proved powerful though if used on the vampire quickly enough, along with pure iron which seemed to cause rust on the vampires when hit. These two substances were therefore in the main arsenal of any proficient hunter, usually armed with an iron blade, along with an iron stake (which must penetrate the vampire's heart to kill them) and with an array of salt in various flasks and forms.

The most elite of these vampire hunters often formed together, not just defending from the vampires, but outright hunting them down. They usually travelled in groups of up to 10 and if well planned, could take down equal sized groups of vampires. Eventually, the human population grew and these attacks resulted in a full-scale rebellion across the country.

By the end of the 32nd century, both sides had taken great losses and a truce was eventually called upon. It did not take long for the vampires and the humans to start fighting again however, and this time when they did, the humans seemed to have gained the upper hand. By the end of the 33rd century, the majority of vampires had decided to leave Earth and venture elsewhere. Those that chose to remain did so under strict rulings of the human inhabitants, but was nonetheless free in most senses of the word.

The human population repopulated itself almost exponentially over the next few decades and now more established, the documentation of this history was started...

And all of this in our little old country!

Can't wait to see how it turns out GLS

"the mythical substance "Garlic"
    Hahaha, I am well prepared for dystopian futures!

Great bit of worldbuilding and looking forward to seeing your map.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Made a very solid start on it (actually I started yesterday, but still).

Our lovely UK is all just skin and bones in the future...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vampire Hunters in the 31st Century.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	721.9 KB 
ID:	88360

Still to come are place names, city icons, compass rose, rhumbs (probably), scale, lat/long lines, etc. Also, colours and textures are subject to tweaking, though probably not too much.

A case of rising sea levels? (Or should that be blood levels?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A case of rising sea levels? (Or should that be blood levels?)
    Haha, yep indeed!

Guild Expert

Looks like there's going to be some major competition here, it's really good so far, I'm loving the red background, really nice.

Hey GLS

This is just a really CRAZY idea, and please totally ignore it if it's just not the direction you want to go in with this map (even though I half suspect you were going to do this anyway...

Just a thought - if you lighten up the tones of the land by quite a few shades you could almost make it look like the bone to go with the ocean of blood - yellowed bone - tans, a touch of dirty greyish yellow/orange, fawns, and warm greys... and any forests or vegetation could be done like the ocean colours, but slightly darker- like freshly clotted and slightly browning blood stains left high and dry on the land?

This is just a sample palette I took from a skull picture just to show you how close the colours of bone already are to your land mass colour

Name:	Bone Palette.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	88401

Like I said - this IS just one of my totally crazy momentary thoughts! And it's very much my bad if this disturbs your own creative processes on what you're doing here

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey GLS

This is just a really CRAZY idea, and please totally ignore it if it's just not the direction you want to go in with this map (even though I half suspect you were going to do this anyway...

Just a thought - if you lighten up the tones of the land by quite a few shades you could almost make it look like the bone to go with the ocean of blood - yellowed bone - tans, a touch of dirty greyish yellow/orange, fawns, and warm greys... and any forests or vegetation could be done like the ocean colours, but slightly darker- like freshly clotted and slightly browning blood stains left high and dry on the land?

This is just a sample palette I took from a skull picture just to show you how close the colours of bone already are to your land mass colour

Name:	Bone Palette.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	88401

Like I said - this IS just one of my totally crazy momentary thoughts! And it's very much my bad if this disturbs your own creative processes on what you're doing here
    That's a little CRAAAZY, Mouse! But I still love it!

I was wondering what to do about colours and was thinking blood stain effects, but hadn't thought of the bone idea at all for the land. I'll have a few tweaks using that palette and maybe a couple of others I can dig up and hopefully get an update in a few days.

Thanks for the great idea, Mouse!

(Also, I literally just checked when you posted this message)

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Looks like there's going to be some major competition here, it's really good so far, I'm loving the red background, really nice.
    Thanks, Kacey! I think the red may change a tad, but still going to be something bloodish.

LOL! I see the old telepathy's still working then

Glad it was more help than hindrance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast