Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Commission Piece] Map of an Island

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The request in the commission was for simple symbols as Nonsequitur wants to add his own labels and symbols over time.

Having said that, now the map is done, I may well fiddle with some extra work on the symbols and labels. We'll see.

Okay, so I had a shot at doing some iso icons. Not sure how well they read at the print scale but they look okay at the full size. Let me know what you think:

Full:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island4.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	8309

Print:

Name:	IslandSmall.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	8310

They are a little difficult to identify on the Print size. Perhaps with roads they would become more apparent as to what they are.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

With isometric abstract icons:

Name:	IslandSmall.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	8312

There was a specific request for no roads so I avoided them. I don't really want to add them in now. Ideally the icons should show what the locations are without any extra information. I need to find some way to make them stand out. Back to the drawing board...

Actually those work. It is more obvious what they are and they are not "hidden" by the terrain. I think the problem with the more realistic looking icon was that you drew them "too good" and the blended in with the rest of the map. The more abstract ones stand out much better and are more obviously points of interest thus making the map both functional as well as a work of art.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

After thinking about it I agree. I'll stick with these icons for now and stop tinkering. Thanks all for the comments!

I'm very happy with the final product. Torstan kept me up to date throughout his creative process and was a pleasure to work with. I'd like to add that while the more realistic town icons were well done, I think the abstract icons suit my purposes better.

Do you want the slightly skewed icon version?

Thanks for the pleasant comments on the blog!

Hi there

I realise that this thread is over 8 years old, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

What is this map for? I've reverse image searched it and it came up with a game. Something about the city of Pondia?

A friend of mine recently found a message in a bottle washed up on our shore and this map was inside with some writing on. We're trying to decipher what the message could be - quite interesting!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

1. Are you posting from the future? The thread isn't even five years old.

2. The first post of the thread clearly states what the map was for and even has a link to the request thread.

3. Welcome to the Guild!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast