Thread: Arreval - Regional map WIP

Guild Apprentice Cartography Dragon's Avatar

Wip Arreval - Regional map WIP

I decided to start my next project despite my Wacom tablet not being here yet . This is a map of the kingdom of Arreval, a land increasingly plagued by monsters and other evils.

I'm feeling more ambitious this time around, so I've decided to use some subtle-ish colors along with my parchment like background. So far I've finished the coastline, added in the sea's color, along with some texture, and marked where the mountains will go. Now I need to settle on a mountain style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArrevalWIP1.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	600.1 KB 
ID:	88394

Advice and critiques are welcome, as any advice you give me will help improve my technique.
    A dragon with a penchant for mapmaking

My Wacom tablet arrived today! I'm very excited. It will take me some time to figure it out, but I hope to get back to work on this map ASAP.

Guild Expert

That's exciting Cartography Dragon, can't wait to see what you do with it. Might feel strange at first, but it won't take long before you can't imagine it any other way. And nice start on the map, I like the colours, tho I really wish you would use a smaller brush on the coast, I find it kind of heavy.

I decided to start over, using a picture twice as big at 50% zoom for better detail. Mountains aren't done, but all of them are on the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArrevalWIP1.2.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	503.0 KB 
ID:	88673

Guild Expert

This is coming along Cartography dragon, I still find the coast line a little heavy, but it might just be personal preference. How are you liking working with the new tablet?