14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Patreon away

14 100.00%
  • No, you fool, Patreon is not for you

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skenara [Land Beyond the Sea]

I am so in love with this style Splendid map, J.Edward. Btw, it's Haldeshar

A very nice addition to all your worldbuilding stuff. Although i for one like the Haldeshar map better (and would love to see such a writeup for it). Also, a worldmap that binds all of this setting together. I guess this answers the question as to the Patreon thing as well. I think it's a good idea. I don't know exactly how it works, though. So i can't say for sure if i can contribute in a useful manner. But i'd love to see you do more worldbuilding and maps in this style (being an enthusiastic p&p roleplayer, that shouldn't come as a surprise ).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Such a beautiful map!

I haven't voted on the Patreon thing, as I don't game so don't feel it's aimed at me. But Robulous is right that Vorro uses Patreon. I think Kosmic Dungeon uses a sorta similar service (Tip-something?) Maybe one of those guys could give you some advice.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

It's a real stunner! What typefaces did you use? I love 'em all and they work really well together. It really does look hand-drawn and hand painted too.

I had to look up Patreon. What a cool concept! I suppose it requires having a following who want to see more of your stuff? I guess there's nothing to lose!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It's gorgeous J.Edward! Like always I'm envious of you're talent. I love the colours, the border is awesome, I really like this style. The text, and compass are really cool, and the story that goes along with it really helped to paint a picture of this place in my mind.

I don't know much about Patreon, but if I were into role playing games I would definitely pay money to use this setting.
    Thank you Kacey
    I am still not sure what my intention for Patreon would be.
    Initially my thought had been to provide game maps and stuff, as those are some of the largest comsumers of maps [rpg gamers].
    My truest desire would be to simply produce maps and stories with some additional illustrations that go along with those things.
    But I am unsure if there would be a market for such things. I guess time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    gorgeous!!
    Thanks Zhar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Wonderful map, and the description just makes it better.
    Thanks Wired
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    The map of course is another gem ! I love the mountain range that turns into a rift, I love the lonely peak near Nyshe, the wondrous variety of your mountains. The forest following the coasts tell a lot about this world. There are so much different features to look at, the maps makes me dizzy. The old paper is really a win and the little dark spots really tell "I've spent some time in a moist drawer". The sea monsters are really classic but you somehow managed to give them your unique touch. The font, if I can call those gorgeous letters a font, is masterfully executed and I love the key, the key border and the calamari. I love the backstory but I'd say that for me, the real marvel of this map is the compass whose aesthetics are both looking like it's coming out of a fairy tale and have a chilling vibe to it. Bravo ! And Patreon on !!
    Thanks so much Thomas
    I was fond of the spire at Nyshe. I have had trouble in the past with trying to convey a bit of a darker tone.
    Maybe this one succeeds a bit because it was already present in the story. Maybe it leaked into the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh my! :sigh: I'm going to end up running out of walls to put your maps on, J.Edward

Having attacked cartography from the DIY writer-turned-cartographer side of things, and never having played an RPG in my life, I'm sadly not really in a position to either comment or vote on the other issue, but I would definitely buy a print of as many of your maps as I could afford, to frame and put on my wall
    Thank you Mouse
    I explained a bit in Kacey's response about what I'd like to do.
    I will have to investigate what the cost of getting maps printed and shipped would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Absolutely wonderful map, J! Every bit of it.

Patreon... Yes. Do it.
    Thank you Chashio
    We will see about this Patreon thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Absolutely stunning piece J! This is going straight into my inspirations map collection. I love the colours, the style, the creatures, pretty much everything about it!
    Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the title font, which is a little much in my opinion, but I'm probably in the minority on this.
    Great work once again!

As for Patreon, I'm not too sure about the ins and outs of it, so won't vote, but if Chashio recommends it, it's gotta be good!
    Thanks GLS
    What was your thinking on the lettering? Too large? Too 'tree-ish'? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    As I have already told you on DevianArt this map is absolutely one of my favourite. I really love every aspect of it. It's a terrific piece of art.
    Thank you so much Francesca
    Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Lovely Is this a commission or just for fun? It would look great in a book.

Re Patreon I've seen other people have them - I think vorropohaiah has a Patreon for his Atlas Elyden - there's no harm in giving it a try. I just wonder how much people contribute. They're big on Youtube which is more of a mass medium, fantasy cartography must be a fairly small community though it attracts the wider roleplaying community.
    Thanks Rob
    Yeah, I am unsure if there would be enough interest to warrant the time involvement.
    But, I suppose trying it will be the only way to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I am so in love with this style Splendid map, J.Edward. Btw, it's Haldeshar

A very nice addition to all your worldbuilding stuff. Although i for one like the Haldeshar map better (and would love to see such a writeup for it). Also, a worldmap that binds all of this setting together. I guess this answers the question as to the Patreon thing as well. I think it's a good idea. I don't know exactly how it works, though. So i can't say for sure if i can contribute in a useful manner. But i'd love to see you do more worldbuilding and maps in this style (being an enthusiastic p&p roleplayer, that shouldn't come as a surprise ).
    Oh man - I laughed so hard Eilathen Guess I need to go correct the spelling of my own made up word
    I really laughed about that. Thanks for that. A good laugh and a helpful too.

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer more about HaldeshAr
    I know it has a more fantastic feel, I guess.
    Oh, you may get your wish [on both the Haldeshar write up and the world map too].
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Such a beautiful map!

I haven't voted on the Patreon thing, as I don't game so don't feel it's aimed at me. But Robulous is right that Vorro uses Patreon. I think Kosmic Dungeon uses a sorta similar service (Tip-something?) Maybe one of those guys could give you some advice.
    Thank you ChickPea
    Yeah, I guess I need to clarify that better. I wasn't really intending it as just a rpg thing... though I suspect there would maybe be more people who might find it useful for gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's a real stunner! What typefaces did you use? I love 'em all and they work really well together. It really does look hand-drawn and hand painted too.

I had to look up Patreon. What a cool concept! I suppose it requires having a following who want to see more of your stuff? I guess there's nothing to lose!
    Thank you Ravs
    The main font is Chaucer available at MyFonts.com.
    It is the basis for the 'Land Beyond the Sea' lettering too.
    The Skenara lettering was loosely based on Balder also available on MyFonts.com.

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Not sure if there are enough people interested or not, but I guess as I said to Rob, I will only know once I do.

Be sure that many people will advertise what you propose on patreon.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    What was your thinking on the lettering? Too large? Too 'tree-ish'? Just curious.
    I do like the font and think you've done a great job on it, it's just I don't think it quite works here as is.I think the treeish element is definitely a part of it, but maybe because of the colouring. I don't think it stands out as much as it needs to. The green of the text below and its brown definitely suit the palette, but I think perhaps they just need a boost somehow, whether from a bolder text outline or a bit more vibrancy or contrast (whilst keeping in theme).

To be honest, though, I'm not really sure. Everyone else seems to like it a lot, so perhaps it's just me.

(I do think the "The Sea" is too large though, or maybe just the slight off-centred look doesn't quite work for me.)

Please don't read into this too much though, as I think it's an absolutely stunning piece of work J and one that I will be coming back to time and time again for inspiration and to lift me out of creative slumps.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post

Oh man - I laughed so hard Eilathen Guess I need to go correct the spelling of my own made up word
    I really laughed about that. Thanks for that. A good laugh and a helpful too.

Out of curiosity, what do you prefer more about HaldeshAr
    I know it has a more fantastic feel, I guess.
    Oh, you may get your wish [on both the Haldeshar write up and the world map too].
    Glad i could give you a laugh with this I found it funny as well and hey, don't beat yourself up, made-up words are hard to do and, as you almost never use them, even harder to remember

Hmm i guess i just loved the land-composition better in the Haldeshar map. It immediately invoked so many pictures and ideas in my mind. I am sure it's also the castle and the word itself that just triggered more in my head. But it is a distinction on a high level! As said, I loved the second map a lot. For example, what i liked about the second map is that it is not cut-off...you show us the whole continent/island. I normally don't like cut-off stuff Although sometimes it triggers a lot of own ideas...so it can be a plus to cut a map off...but in the end i always start wondering what the artist had in mind for the rest and it eats at me So there's your reason number one why i love WORLD maps ^^

So yeah, i'd be very happy if you provided backstory on Haldeshar and a worldmap for this setting. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    And if you do the Patreon thing, let me know. As said, i think i'd totally be your target audience ^^
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Excellence! I think it is superb.

As for Patreon I would say give it a go and tell us how it pans out. It does look like some folks are doing quite well using it and it seems fairly easy to set up. I thought about it but until I can get more time to put into my art I don't think I'm prolific enough to hold any sort of following. You on the other hand have been pounding them out at quite a rate so I think you are good to go. Plus, you may get some additional requests to go in directions you haven't thought of.

Just don't disappear from us here since we'd miss you something fierce.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wonderfull. I like the way you depict so many intriguing world particularity in this map and sure it'll be interesting to see more of this stuff, so go for patreon.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast