• Yes, Patreon away

14 100.00%
  • No, you fool, Patreon is not for you

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skenara [Land Beyond the Sea]

Guild Journeyer

Well for Patreon:

key to make it great is sensible description of what you do and why you need people's support for it. The funding goals are important, if you dont make those clear, people easily see it as begging. Goals should have something to do with your project, maybe at income level x, you upgrade an equipment of yours?

Without those goals, I havent seen great success in Patreon. Only those with already huge following like youtubers, get away with a lack of goals.

And oh yes, the map. Can't say anything. Imagine I am Gollum, and your map parchment was just stolen.

Ah! I think I saw the second post first . Anyway, I'll have a look on this patreon thing, I'm not sure to know exactly how it works and consists about (to be honest). I'm pretty sure a lot of people would gladly support your -amazing- work, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Be sure that many people will advertise what you propose on patreon.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    I do like the font and think you've done a great job on it, it's just I don't think it quite works here as is.I think the treeish element is definitely a part of it, but maybe because of the colouring. I don't think it stands out as much as it needs to. The green of the text below and its brown definitely suit the palette, but I think perhaps they just need a boost somehow, whether from a bolder text outline or a bit more vibrancy or contrast (whilst keeping in theme).

To be honest, though, I'm not really sure. Everyone else seems to like it a lot, so perhaps it's just me.

(I do think the "The Sea" is too large though, or maybe just the slight off-centred look doesn't quite work for me.)

Please don't read into this too much though, as I think it's an absolutely stunning piece of work J and one that I will be coming back to time and time again for inspiration and to lift me out of creative slumps.
    The Sea was actually the second one... I had originally had it as the Land of the Jungle Lords, but it didn't seem 'jungely' enough so I changed it.
    It's ok. I like advice on how people see things. It's helpful.
    Chashio told me that the black and white version of the lettering [on variation maps] seemed too faint, so it's stuff to keep in mind for next maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Glad i could give you a laugh with this. I found it funny as well and hey, don't beat yourself up, made-up words are hard to do and, as you almost never use them, even harder to remember

Hmm i guess i just loved the land-composition better in the Haldeshar map. It immediately invoked so many pictures and ideas in my mind. I am sure it's also the castle and the word itself that just triggered more in my head. But it is a distinction on a high level! As said, I loved the second map a lot. For example, what i liked about the second map is that it is not cut-off...you show us the whole continent/island. I normally don't like cut-off stuff. Although sometimes it triggers a lot of own ideas...so it can be a plus to cut a map off...but in the end i always start wondering what the artist had in mind for the rest and it eats at me. So there's your reason number one why i love WORLD maps ^^

So yeah, i'd be very happy if you provided backstory on Haldeshar and a worldmap for this setting. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    And if you do the Patreon thing, let me know. As said, i think i'd totally be your target audience ^^
    Yeah, names are powerful vehicles for the imagination. Haldeshar has a certain feel. Skenara has a different feel, which is intentional.
    I don't usually do cut-off maps, but I do have a few planned. Ironically, I like them for that very reason... it leads one to wonder about what is beyond the map borders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Excellence! I think it is superb.

As for Patreon I would say give it a go and tell us how it pans out. It does look like some folks are doing quite well using it and it seems fairly easy to set up. I thought about it but until I can get more time to put into my art I don't think I'm prolific enough to hold any sort of following. You on the other hand have been pounding them out at quite a rate so I think you are good to go. Plus, you may get some additional requests to go in directions you haven't thought of.

Just don't disappear from us here since we'd miss you something fierce.
    Thanks Jax
    That is a concern. If effort is being put into a different web site then it stands to reason that something suffers, though I would not want it to be my activity on the Guild.
    It's going to be a balancing act until I get used to the process and schedule and workload.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Wonderfull. I like the way you depict so many intriguing world particularity in this map and sure it'll be interesting to see more of this stuff, so go for patreon.
    Thank you Warlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilgoth View Post
    Well for Patreon:

key to make it great is sensible description of what you do and why you need people's support for it. The funding goals are important, if you dont make those clear, people easily see it as begging. Goals should have something to do with your project, maybe at income level x, you upgrade an equipment of yours?

Without those goals, I havent seen great success in Patreon. Only those with already huge following like youtubers, get away with a lack of goals.

And oh yes, the map. Can't say anything. Imagine I am Gollum, and your map parchment was just stolen.
    Thanks Ilgoth
    That has been my biggest trouble so far - trying to work out what my direction will be and what the funding would give to patrons.
    I would love to offer printed maps sent to patrons, but I think the cost might make it difficult.
    I need to find a local printer and get some quotes on what that would cost per map and then what shipping rates would be to a number of locations.
    It might not be a feasible goal but I'll find out. Also, the time involved each month to get prints, package and ship them might be prohibitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Ah! I think I saw the second post first . Anyway, I'll have a look on this patreon thing, I'm not sure to know exactly how it works and consists about (to be honest). I'm pretty sure a lot of people would gladly support your -amazing- work, anyway.
    Thanks Ilanthar
    I suspect you might do well with Patreon also.

Fantastic work. Love the detail, esp the little cities and town pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Fantastic work. Love the detail, esp the little cities and town pictures.
    Thanks Jeff

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, how'd I miss this?? Really great work as per usual, J.E. I personally think a bit more color wouldn't have been amiss, but it looks great with this more toned-down color scheme as well.

As far as Patreon, hell, why not? I already give money to Vorro and a couple other people, what's one more? I may go bankrupt, but it's in the service of art! Art, dammit, art!!!!

Blog Entries

Its amazing! love the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, how'd I miss this?? Really great work as per usual, J.E. I personally think a bit more color wouldn't have been amiss, but it looks great with this more toned-down color scheme as well.

As far as Patreon, hell, why not? I already give money to Vorro and a couple other people, what's one more? I may go bankrupt, but it's in the service of art! Art, dammit, art!!!!
    Thanks Diamond.
    Dare I say it... you're a funny guy.
    [quietly put shin guards on and the knee pads... don't forget the knee pads]
    Quote Originally Posted by FranCobasGC View Post
    Its amazing! love the details!
    Thank you Fran.

As a fun update to this map..
    I finally got my patreon running.
    It took a lot longer than I would have thought to do it too.

Man, over a year. That's disgraceful.
    A sidenote, as it relates to this map in particular...
    I entered this in the Atlas of Design call for entries for this year's book.
    And I'm happy to say it was chosen as one of the maps to be in the 4th volume.
    Yay!!! I will have more info as I have it. I am still waiting to hear more back from them about publication.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast