Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Town of Lakefall

Guild Member

Wip The Town of Lakefall

I'm putting together a quick town map to compliment a campaign, and thought I'd share the progress as I go.

The idea is basic enough, a high fortification / castle, a lower level lake cascading down next to a main town nestled under the overwatch from the castle in the valley below. I still have to organise some height in the valley, and I can't seem to get the trees working for me...

But here is what it looks like initially.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lakefall.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	88569

Guild Member

The Town of Lakefall progresses!

The Castle and buildings have been added, and the general layout of the town layed down, and even a little bridge. Next on the task listing are the extra little buildings, estate walls, and town market details before lining the roads and entranceways. I'll replace the trees once I get a better feel for the style of map, and I work out how to draw them in the style I like! Oh, and hills...

Anyway, here is my WIP The Town of Lakefall v0.2

Name:	Lakefall v0.2.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	88677

Mmm I would say that in that plaza in the middle of the town you should have a well with benches, or tents for markets. You could also have a statue and a fountain. I mean! The place is JUST ASKING for something grand .
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elterio Delgard View Post
    Mmm I would say that in that plaza in the middle of the town you should have a well with benches, or tents for markets. You could also have a statue and a fountain. I mean! The place is JUST ASKING for something grand .
    Good ideas Elterio! I was thinking of stalls / market tents etc, but I like your thoughts about a fountain / statue... hmm the possibilities.

The roofs are very various in colours. Is this just by coincidence or on purpose?
    As far as I know, colours were expensive in pre-industrial times, meaning without producing them chemically. So coloring roof tiles would cost a lot and was mostly done by rich people to show their wealth. So your city has only rich inhabitants or you might like to add some less bright colors for the homes of the less wealthy people. Some greyish or brownish showing the natural color of the roof tiles, depending on the material used. From an artist's point of view to many colors make for a rather restless impression so on first sight I would see this as a tent camp and not as a city. If you want to add the market tents etc this would also be a problem as tents and houses shouldn't look to similar. Or you just desaturate the roof colours a bit.
    If you decide to go for color - rich people and brown/grey - poor people you could also think if there are areas they live in, as poor and wealthy normally don't mix that much in a city.

I do like the overall setting and especially the nature colours and the castle. The lake and the waterfall are also very pretty! Is it a flat plain the river and the lake are on and then just falling down on the next flat plain? I'd suggest to somehow indicate som height variation that explains the river running down from a higher position to the lower position (where the lake is placed) and finally breaking its boundaries at the lowest and weakest point (where the waterfall is). On the upper edge of the map there is a spot where the river is very very close to the edge of the higher plateau. So I wonder why it just doesn't fall down the edge right there and instead turns south to the lake. Maybe you could add some more height on this thin line to show that the river can't flow down there?
    But that's just some thoughts as I like more realism in such things. Nonetheless it looks good and you should keep up the work.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    The roofs are very various in colours. Is this just by coincidence or on purpose?
    Hi Eld, thanks for the comments!

The various house colours was deliberate. But I forgot about the colour's potentially referencing 'wealth', I was going for building size/density as a delineator. The town is planned to be fairly well off as the seat of power for the region (hence the castle), but I'll see if I can dampen the colours on that layer to see what it looks like (great idea!).

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    I do like the overall setting and especially the nature colours and the castle. The lake and the waterfall are also very pretty! Is it a flat plain the river and the lake are on and then just falling down on the next flat plain? I'd suggest to somehow indicate som height variation that explains the river running down from a higher position to the lower position (where the lake is placed) and finally breaking its boundaries at the lowest and weakest point (where the waterfall is). On the upper edge of the map there is a spot where the river is very very close to the edge of the higher plateau. So I wonder why it just doesn't fall down the edge right there and instead turns south to the lake. Maybe you could add some more height on this thin line to show that the river can't flow down there?
    But that's just some thoughts as I like more realism in such things. Nonetheless it looks good and you should keep up the work.
    I'm still to put in 'hills' to break up the essentially three plains with the river and lake on the second and third tiers and to give some height to the town. Now I look at it, I see what you mean with the river and I don't think I've left enough room to geographically ridge the gap between the cliff and the river. I'll have a play around and see what I can do. Fortunately plenty of room in that little area to experiment.

Thanks for all the suggestions Eld!
    Ra.
    Last edited by RaNaketh; 10-23-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Guild Member

Wip Update - The Town of Lakefall (v0.3)

Here is a quick update - I was working on some sample 'estate walls' and farmland, along with a small pier, and exclusive fishing pier in the lower lake. I've reduced the saturation on the houses by ~ -40.0 points to see what it looks like, and I think the town now blends better with the castle.

I still have to work on Eld's suggestion of the river / cliff. That's for another day!

Name:	Lakefall v0.3.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	88821

Guild Member

Default Update - The Town of Lakefall (v0.4)

Ok, so I couldn't let it rest.

So with a massive shift in the continuum of time and an alternate reality, the river now cuts behind the castle, down through some rocks and around to the front. I also altered the different plateau levels to highlight the variable heights and adjusted my road and farm look and feel to allow for some more details later.

Trees were harmed in the adjustments to this map, perhaps some old-forest felling occurred! Don't worry they'll be replanted later.

Here's v0.4 of The Town of Lakefall.

Name:	Lakefall v0.4.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	88826

Wow, what a development!
    The desaturated roof colours fit in really good. House size of course is a good indicator for wealth. Those estate walls are nice and maybe you could use them to surround the most wealthy houses as they might have gardens whereas the common people can't afford gardens within the limited space of the town.
    The river looks much more natural now and the height comes out much clearer with the brighter green. Maybe in the northwest of the town is some more place for fields as people usually like to have short ways to their working places.

Keep on, you're on a good way!

Guild Member

Thanks Eld.

I have plans for the spaces to be farmland, and will certainly be putting a few walls around other 'estates'. It'll take me a while, but it's fun making this map!

Ra.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast