Thread: Kir Ganas - The Fallen City

Default Kir Ganas - The Fallen City

Here's a map of a ruined city for the RPG campaign all of my maps have been for, including WIP shots. I'm using the same general strategy as my map of Verinia and the insets in my map of the Skybound Islands. This is a floating island that crashed into an abyssal canyon. It's pinned between a rock tower and the side of the canyon, and there's a narrow bridge across from the other side of the canyon.

First step was shaping the terrain. Unorthodox technique here - I use Planet Coaster

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kir ganas wip1.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	98671

I added some scenery, including the broken tower. Then I played with the lighting. I liked the darker lighting for most of the canyon, but wanted the island to be a little brighter for details, so I merged these two.

Name:	kir ganas wip2.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	98672

Next up, some GMIC filters. I did a Vector paint layer for the coloring layer, and then two hard sketch passes with the soft light overlay mode.

Name:	Kir Ganas 2.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	98673

Pretty much done at this point. Might add some labels... CC appreciated!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I love the atmosphere! It's really unique, this 3D rendering! And the idea of ​​this habitat hidden in the bottom of the abyss is excellent and very well realized! Have you built the land from scratch or you have recovered an existing land?

Never saw a style like this before and it's very stunning and beautiful. The colors, shades, the blur, yep, very good work!

In only wonder who lit the torches down there? In RPGs I'm always wondering why the torches in those old ruins are still burning when the hero enters them first after dozens or hundreds of years...
    But that's just a small thing.

Thank you both for the kind words!

The setting is built from scratch. I started it back in high school and picked it up again when I got some friends into RPGs. Pretty standard fantasy stuff that was less cliche in the 90s, but I'm trying to add some interesting locations.

The torch thing bugs me, too It drove me crazy in Skyrim where the dungeons would have been much creepier if they were more realistically dark and required you to equip a torch. My torches were lit recently, though. Kir Ganas isn't uninhabited, as my players will find out on Tuesday.