Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: The Realm of Hades

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Okie doke, this may again change before the end depending on comments, but I've made the map much darker and more textured because, well, it's the underworld.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Underworld Dark.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	994.0 KB 
ID:	89402

Also, if people don't like the inserts, or think any need brightening/darkening or whatever, that would be good to hear.

Wow that makes quite a difference! Certainly more moody and 'underworldy' An excellent development

There's just one thing bugging me, and I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but the Plain of Judgement label sticks out from the plain quite a long way, and is a bit distracting like that. Maybe if you shrunk it just a bit and tried to tuck it inside the border, and moved the Palace of Hades label down underneath the end of the ribbon on the shield there...? What do you think?

Its probably just a matter of taste, though, so don't worry if there just isn't time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow that makes quite a difference! Certainly more moody and 'underworldy' An excellent development

There's just one thing bugging me, and I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but the Plain of Judgement label sticks out from the plain quite a long way, and is a bit distracting like that. Maybe if you shrunk it just a bit and tried to tuck it inside the border, and moved the Palace of Hades label down underneath the end of the ribbon on the shield there...? What do you think?

Its probably just a matter of taste, though, so don't worry if there just isn't time.
    Thanks, Mouse.

Yeah, the Judgement label wasn't like that before, so don't worry, you didn't miss it. Anyway, I'll have a little mix around and try your suggestions and see what I can do.

Guild Expert

Big change, I like the warm colours, and the texture is much, much better. It might be a tad too dark, but I may not be the best judge of this because I keep my monitors brightness down pretty low so that my prints work out better. When I turn my brightness to 100% the colours look pretty nice, but when it’s at 50% where I normally keep it I find myself squinting to see the text, and details.

I’m with Mouse on the Plains of Judgement text, but I wouldn’t shrink it, I would simply move the palace of Hades down some, and curve the Plains of Judgement text very slightly upwards to fit the shape of that border better.

The Isles of the Blessed bugs me quite a bit because it’s touching the coast line of the top island, I think this would look much better if it were moved down a touch so that it was centred between the two bigger islands.

The fields of Elysium is too close to the river, I think if you put a tad more space between the letters it could straddle the river a little nicer. And the label for Archeron is too close to the line, if it were moved down a hair just so that it’s not touching the line it would make a world of difference.

Sorry to be so critical, I hope I wasn’t too hard on you, but I’m just hoping that this one wins. Regardless of weather you make any changes you’ll more then likely have my vote

Thanks Kacey, and don't worry, you're not being heavily critical at all. That's just what I needed to hear!

I'll get those changes done in just a little bit when I'm back on my laptop.

Okay, I think this could be the final version.

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Realm of Hades.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	997.5 KB 
ID:	89414

Thanks Mouse and Kacey for the helpful comments as we get towards the end.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-16-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Oh yes, that's much better! I love these colours, GLS

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Honestly, it never even occured to me to turn this into an actual map with "political" boundaries and al, which is why I think this is awesome! Really nice work, and the colors fit it, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12