Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: The Realm of Hades

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Default Oct / Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: The Realm of Hades

Well, I don't fully know if I'll be able to finish this challenge or not, but I've somehow managed with the last few to get a finished piece done, so hopefully I'll do the same here.

I was thinking of a few different things and styles to do, but really just wanted to do a regional map. Equally though, it had to be something that would be identifiable as "the underworld" rather than just me saying "Oh, by the way, this place is underground" , so I thought what better than the most infamous underworld of them all, The Realm of Hades?

I'm not sure what direction I want to take this. Part of me wants to go proper vintage map style on it with little illustrations of things like Cerberus and Charon in place of the classical sea monsters, which I'm pretty tempted by and would certainly test my drawing (buildings are mostly fine, but creatures I always find tough). The other part of me wants to take influence from Max's brilliant Hell maps (here's one https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...7&d=1453313922) the style of which could easily be adapted to somewhere as similar as The Underworld.

I think I'll probably go for the first, because I've never attempted anything near a proper classical style map and it would probably be much lighter than most entries in terms of colour scheme.

Go-go, GLS, Go!

Great idea! Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Go-go, GLS, Go!
    Haha, that didn't happen did it?

Nonetheless, I have been working on it these past couple of weeks, just unfortunately the combination of finding the time and then restarting, changing and going back to drawing board with this meant that I haven't felt the desire to post any works-in-progress. It's still in a little bit of a limbo, but I reckon I'll get something somewhat decent done before the end.

Anyway, I thought I'd let people know in case they were wondering rather than being left in the dark (...the underdark ).

Okay, here's a version of the map. I hope to change it up a bit before the end, but it's something here to have before the end.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Underworld Base.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	89320

Oh wow! And suddenly there it was

Looking great, GLS. I think I would definitely end up on the path of the forgetful!

If there's anything I'm not all that keen on its the rather noticeable canvas-like texture. Maybe just a tad more transparency on that layer?

Thanks Mouse and have no fear, that texture was up for the edit anyway! I'm playing around with much darker tones than here too, so hopefully I'll be back with an update on the morrow for any last minute feedback before the final stretch.

Haha, as for the Path of the Forgetful, it is actually a very pure road to end up on, Mouse, so you'll make it to the Isles of the Blessed yet!
    Last edited by Greg; 11-11-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Guild Expert

Looking good GLS, tho I'm with Mouse on the canvas texture, I think a nice paper texture would really bring this to life.

Yes, a nice paper texture would look fantastic

EDIT: As for making it to the Isles of the Blessed... hmmm... not sure about that! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-12-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Nice start on this and I love that border! I think I agree with Mouse & kacey that it'd be nice to see it on a parchment-style background.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast