Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The kingdom of Valorin - my first paid commission

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Congrats, Thom! A really great looking map, and a very lucky client!!

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Such a nice map! I especially like the constructions, they are splendid. And i love the bottom cliffs with the chasm.

One thing though, i would add a subtle shadow to bottom left side of forests. Ones on trees to sell the effect of 3D, and one below forest that would represent shadow cast by forest on the ground. Without at least one of them, forests looks to me a liltle too flat.
    Thanks a lot Voolf and you're right about the forests. The cast shadow was tricky to get right giving the scale of the map so I tried but decided to let it go as I couldn't make it work as I wanted. About the individual trees, as I've already said, I'm not satisfied anymore by the way I draw the canopies so I'll have to work on something else. I plan on using a soft light layer and playing with black and whites to get a more subtle result than with overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Congrats, Thom! A really great looking map, and a very lucky client!!
    Thanks a lot Diamond, I dunno if he's lucky but I'm happy with the final result and he's too so everything came out ok.

Guild Journeyer

Very nice Thom, I'm happy for you.

+rep

Great map Thom, and congratulations on your first paid commission! It turned out great. I especially like the little icons and the monoliths.

-Dan

Congrats Thomrey and great job, love the volume you created on the riverbanks, The mountain and hills have a really nice size difference. The bottom waste land is well done as well. Love the icons too. Only comments would be the forest inner linework seems a little too even, water lines maybe a bit too bright (some transparency to tone them down). Great job!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilgoth View Post
    Very nice Thom, I'm happy for you.

+rep
    Thanks Ilgoth !

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Great map Thom, and congratulations on your first paid commission! It turned out great. I especially like the little icons and the monoliths.

-Dan
    Thanks Daniel, I took some technical inspiration from your famous sea monster for the illustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Congrats Thomrey and great job, love the volume you created on the riverbanks, The mountain and hills have a really nice size difference. The bottom waste land is well done as well. Love the icons too. Only comments would be the forest inner linework seems a little too even, water lines maybe a bit too bright (some transparency to tone them down). Great job!!!!
    Thanks a lot Rick, I struggled with the riverbanks but it finally came out as I wanted. About the forest, as I said, I'll have to work on another way of depicting canopies and I'll see what I can do for the waves. Thanks for those advices and for the ones on the scorched region

Question

What is the giant blue crystal?

Fascinating! Impressive job on the terrains

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Hey !

I love your map, she is totally beautiful !
    But can I use this map for my forum-background ? And can you please delete te border ?

Thank You !

@ SkullzMaster : The blue cristal is one of the monoliths (the obelisk in the crater in dwarves territory, the Giger like structure in the wasteland and the cristal in the human territory), it acts as a light-house south of the big city of Port-Valor.

@ FrancescaBaerald : Thanks a lot, I'm still far from your level of expertise but I work hard

@ Praecursator : As much as I'd love to say yes, I really cannot. This map is not a personal project but a commissioned work. The client and I did not discuss the further uses I could do of the map beyond using it as a part of the portfolio and it would be disrespectful of that agreement to allow someone else to do something with it. Sorry. If the style pleases you and you have a project in mind, feel free to email me at this address : thomrey[at]hotmail[dot]com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast