Thread: WIP Kingdom of Rahn

Guild Novice

Wip WIP Kingdom of Rahn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingdom_of_Rahn 1b.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	89079

Here is a personal project I have been working on and off for a while now. I am practicing some different techniques and playing with different styles. Here is my latest iteration of the map.

I'd be interested in what others think is working and perhaps what is not working as well.

Here was the original sketch I am working off of.

Name:	Kingdom_of_Rahn_Org_Sketch.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	89080

Hey there Gonzotron looking pretty good. I like the shape of the land-forms and the overall composition. The ice-glacier effect surrounding the mountain up north is very nice as well. However the parchment texture you are using has some issues. First, it's way too blurry, like its a lo-res image or something. Second I think there's a bit too much contrast there, so that when you zoom in the texture begins to distract away from the rest of the map. I'd recommend using a completely different, high res parchment texture. At the very least however, the opacity of this texture ought to be turned down a little.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Appreciate the comments Arsheesh. I'll definitely consider swapping out the parchment texture. I was trying out an extension to Photoshop called Adobe Paper Texture Pro to create the background. The texture files that came with the add-on are unfortunately a lower resolution that what I like to work at. I had to upsize the texture and probably pushed it too far. It is a neat add-on to photoshop, just wish it had better texture maps to work with.

Agree with Arsheesh's comments about the texture, but that aside, you're off to a great start and I really like what you have so far. Looking forward to your next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Great start I think you have a good layout and your scale of forest to mountain is pretty good, something that isn't always easy to get right, keep it up

Guild Novice

Wip

Here is my update to the map. I am trying a different parchment background and have developed it a bit further. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Name:	Kingdom_of_Rahn_1c.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.92 MB 
ID:	89370