Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
While I certainly do use vector only (with bitmap texture fills), Roll20 only allows JPG files at 70 dpi for maps and JPG is not vector. So even if you create your maps with vector like myself, you cannot upload a vector file to Roll20, so your argument has no legs. You have to export your vector files to JPG format, thus converting it to bitmap format. I've been creating vector graphics files (not just maps) since 1989, I know what I'm talking about. And for those that know me here, I am a professional map illustrator for many tabletop publishers (as well as being a small game publisher myself), and have been for nearly 9 years. I use Xara Designer Pro x11 (a vector drawing program) for all my map work.

Roll20 allows you to upload 70 dpi maps up to 72 x 72 inches in dimension, in JPG format only. (Just compress the JPG to get it smaller, though it is lossy).
Oh good point! Didn't even occur to me about the file type limits, so yes ultimately a moot question as JPG is what I should plan on using.

Bogie- regarding the size limits, I appreciate the input. I applied a grid to the image so I knew the grid spacing and such, but did the math to ensure my map was large enough to fit my design, which is where the 4000 x 4000 dimensions came into play. The typo of my first statement is that the image was 4200 x 4200, thus giving me 60 units in roll20. I'm trying to impart a kind of realistic/practical scaling to my map (multiple floors in a tower style dungeon crawl) so want to proportion the area appropriately; thus the large map.

Appreciate the input folks!
Q