Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ersïa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

Ilinthar, that map is so good it actually annoys me that mine don't look that good. I (like everyone else, apparently) LOVE the shaded relief - looks like a completely real world.

Could I persuade you to elaborate a little more on your technique for "painting" it in? I have no idea what you mean when you say that.
    Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did you design the landmasses? From scratch, or did you start out with FT? This map just looks so "real" to me.

-Guild Emperor HU

Thanks, your majesty !

It annoys me that it annoys you .
    I'm using shaded relief from Earth and Mars (for Mars, it's an oldie from USGS/Nasa & for Earth, it come from naturalearthdata.com). And I kinda paint them with a cloning tool at different level of opacity/
    Concerning the landmasses, I've done a lot of tests and ended with this one... I tend to use some real shapes for inspiration (you can see a bit of Antarctica in the eastern islands of Golant, for example) and I've also used shapes coming from some online world generator.

Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

Ok, excellent! I've had a lot of attempts at a world map, and even though they're ok, I haven't been able to decide on a style that I really like. Your style has me completely sold. I can foresee a time where people ask for advice on making "Ilanthar-style" maps in the same way that they ask for advice on making "Schley-style" maps!

Thanks a lot, both for the kind comment and the rep, Pananacakes .
    And, I think you're in the right thread. Except if you wanted to comment in the WIP?

What projection did you use?

By Forty-Bot
    What projection did you use?
    None in particular (I think). I just used a classic 2:1 ratio to make it possible to map it on a sphere.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Third time I try to rep you for this one, and I still have to come back later...
    I don't want to wait for praising your work, though : a magnificent work of imagination and skill !
    The whole ambiance of the map is so consistent (colors, relief, border, sea, etc.) !
    And the amount of imagination for each of these 115 countries is incredible !
    Congratulations is a poor word in this case !

Thanks a lot for the praise, Jo!
    I started a regional map a few month ago... I may do some more for this world, but I'm not sure how to proceed.
    And please, don't worry about the rep! I hope to deliver other maps soon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234