Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ersïa

Map Ersïa

I wanted to do a map for a new setting in the same kind of style I used in my old "Elzevir Geopolitics" map, so, here is the result.
    Thanks again for the comments, advices and support during the WIP.

I'll probably do a post of the flags in an higher version, a bit later.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ersïa.jpg 
Views:	1848 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	89798

I hope you'll like it!

Plus the flag book.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ersia flag book.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	89829
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 11-30-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wow, there's an incredible amount of detail in there! A really wonderful Atlas-style map.

Love it ! It's incredible how you work fast and efficiently on this map, all the elements are well integrated and the flags are beautifull. Great job on this.

I don't know where to start on this. Everything is just wonderful. I find it hard to fathom how you can come up with all of this. I'm going to start with the flags. 115 of them! Some flag snobs and strict adherents to the '5 principles of flag design' may point and shriek at the breaking of the 2 or 3 colours rule, some may even claim that some of the symbols are not simple, but I'd say to them - "You come up with 115 flags just like that!" and besides a child of the nation would be able to draw at least a representation of the flag from memory

The information panels are a nice touch, with the astronomical data of the world and its satellite too. Then there's the whole maps itself. The borders appear to be very well thought out and not at all arbitrary. They follow natural features where it's easy to say "You stay that side and we'll stay here and we'll have no quarrel." You've come up with 115 nations and twice as many place names. The font choices are clear and readable and well placed. It's a lovely map to study. The topographical features are very well done and the colours give a good indication of the terrain type. Finally, the border is elegant and the symmetry is impeccable, at least to my eye anyway. That can't be easy given the lozenge shapes are vertical and horizontal, and equally sized.

The only thing I'd say is unnatural about this is the attention to detail - I'd describe that as supernatural. Would it be sad of me to admit to measuring the map to see if its horizontal and vertical dimensions fit the golden ratio?

Am I OK to rate this with 5 points?
    Last edited by Straf; 11-29-2016 at 06:03 AM. Reason: typos

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Awesome stuff Ilanthar ! Unfortunately can't rep it at the moment :/
    Last edited by - Max -; 11-29-2016 at 12:35 PM.

By Wired
    Wow, there's an incredible amount of detail in there! A really wonderful Atlas-style map.
    Thanks Wired . I was quite proud of my old Elzevir map, hence my willingess to do a fantasy map in the same style.

By Warlin
    Love it ! It's incredible how you work fast and efficiently on this map, all the elements are well integrated and the flags are beautifull. Great job on this.
    Thanks Warlin! Still about a month... but yeah, it's quite fast for me .

By Straf
    don't know where to start on this. Everything is just wonderful. I find it hard to fathom how you can come up with all of this. I'm going to start with the flags. 115 of them! Some flag snobs and strict adherents to the '5 principles of flag design' may point and shriek at the breaking of the 2 or 3 colours rule, some may even claim that some of the symbols are not simple, but I'd say to them - "You come up with 115 flags just like that!" and besides a child of the nation would be able to draw at least a representation of the flag from memory

The information panels are a nice touch, with the astronomical data of the world and its satellite too. Then there's the whole maps itself. The borders appear to be very well thought out and not at all arbitrary. They follow natural features where it's easy to say "You stay that side and we'll stay here and we'll have no quarrel." You've come up with 115 nations and twice as many place names. The font choices are clear and readable and well placed. It's a lovely map to study. The topographical features are very well done and the colours give a good indication of the terrain type. Finally, the border is elegant and the symmetry is impeccable, at least to my eye anyway. That can't be easy given the lozenge shapes are vertical and horizontal, and equally sized.

The only thing I'd say is unnatural about this is the attention to detail - I'd describe that as supernatural. Would it be sad of me to admit to measuring the map to see if its horizontal and vertical dimensions fit the golden ratio?

Am I OK to rate this with 5 points?
    Thanks Straf! I would love to know the "5 principles of flag design" . Concerning details, there are people here even more obsessed by accuracy and details than me, I can assure you.

By -Max-
    Awesome stuff Ilanthar ! Unfortunately can't rep it at the moment :/
    Thanks a lot Max! And no worries about the rep .

OK, well with just about everything that more than three people have an interest in and it becomes 'a thing', it gets given an -ology for its study and -ography for its practice. For those who are interested in flags, someone has allocated the word 'vexill' to them. Presumably because it will be rather funny listening to them trying to pronounce 'vexillology' late on into their Christmas party.

Anyway some vexillologists got together and decided that these 5 principles should apply to any flag design:

1. Keep it simple - a child should be able to reproduce the flag from memory.
    2. Use meaningful symbols - the symbols, shapes and colours of a flag should be relevant to what they represent.
    3. Use 2 or 3 basic colours - the colours should contrast well and come from a basic colour pallette (whatever that means)
    4. No lettering or seals - flags should contain no writing and should not have an organisational/guild seal or coat of arms. I don't know if the animal is included here. (Nor the 1990s soul singer)
    5. Be distinctive or be related - Flags should be unique, but nations that are connected can have similarities.
    6. There is no number 6.

It looks awesome Ilanthar
    I really like this style/look. Very nice.

Blog Entries

This is some fantastic work Ilanthar!

I love all of those flags... they definitely look like they could be real.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Guild Expert

I specifically dropped by the forum tonight to look at this map, so it's nice to see it finished, and it turned out really well. I really enjoyed watching it progress in the WIP thread, you did such a good job on the coast, and terrain, and the final touches really made it stand out with the extra globes, and information. What can I say about the flags... Amazing! I can't believe you came up with all those designs in such a short time, they look really great. Nice job overall.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast