Thread: World Map (Full Render, B&W or Color) 130-160 dollars.

Default World Map (Full Render, B&W or Color) 130-160 dollars.

Hey there,

First of all - I am new to these parts as you might have guessed.

I'm currently working on a multi-part book series that is set in a medieval, dark ages scene in which "magic" is in its infancy and still experimented with.

The story focuses on the conquest of a Pangaea-like continent (a super continent) with distinct features that I would like visualized for my readers.

Some reference for how I would like it to be stylized:

Size and level of detail (In better detail than rendered below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Size of the continent.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	591.3 KB 
ID:	90295

Features:

- Locations of Strategic importance (Bridges, rivers, keeps...)
    - A center location (mountain peak...) which remains largely unexplored, mysterious (for story purposes)
    - Room to fit several fiefdoms/kingdoms
    - Ruins of cities, villages...
    - Mountains, forests, strategic resources (wood, stone, iron...)
    - Elevations, caves grottos...
    - anything that you consider relevant or would look good/be realistic.

Short excerpt from the story, describing the world I have in mind:

"I never was much of a painter or a poet. I was convinced that such professions were reserved only to those in privileged positions, whose time was otherwise spent whoring or extorting the simple man in the street. Frankly, I despised those who had the luxury to spend their time pursuing frivolities such as the arts.

I would watch, with great anger, as the painter sat idly on his crooked wooden chair by the lake, cleaning his paint-soaked brushes in its waters as he waited for the light to hit the canvas at the perfect angle.

I would hear, with great anguish, the poet symphonize and muse out loud, composing rhythmic songs of words that held no meaning to me nor struck a sensitive cord within my soul.

I considered time to be such a limited and precious commodity, which I would never spend without careful thought and planning. I guess that the endless struggle to fulfill my dreams, goals and ambitions had blinded me to a simple truth, one which was apparent to the painter and the poet: there is beauty in simplicity.

The truth dawned on me as I gazed down from the roof of the world, which someone the likes of you would probably never have heard of. From on high, I was able to see the desolate wastes to the South, the enamel valleys to the East and the sharktooth ridges to the North. I felt the familiar winds of the west softly pushing the silky clouds toward me, gently seeping forth from the endless blue gorges of the sky.

The sight almost overwhelmed my senses and I remember distinctly that all I felt... was regret.

Regret that I lacked the sensitive words of the poet.

Regret that I lacked the illustrious skill of the painter.

Regret that I could not let others share in my amazement.

So if you came to seek knowledge, insight or wisdom, I cannot offer you any. What I do have to offer, however, is something infinitely more valuable.

What I have to offer you is humility and a sense of purpose.

Which, in this world, is in short supply."

What I wanted to illustrate with that bit of text was a sense of awe and wonder - the continent might be quite large, but most of it is still mysterious and remains unexpored except for the fringes (where kingdoms have been founded).

I wish I could tell you more, but my publisher would probably not allow it.

If you are interested or need more information, please let me know here or via e-mail: thijs.eeckhaut@gmail.com

Thanks!

Blog Entries

hi Matthew
    you might want to rethink the detail and or rate of pay

that example looks like about 60 to 120 hours of work
    and at $20+ per hour ......
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I've send you an e-mail (forgot to add a subject line sorry)

That sounds really interesting, but I kinda have to agree with John. Judging form the example you provided, I'm afraid those figures are missing a zero
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Yeah, I sadly have to concurr with John and Mat. At that level of detail we're talking about a sum well in excess of your stated budget.