Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Garnok region of Baldimar

Maybe the castle owner likes a little color. Personally, I think the blue looks best, so that would be my choice if they were all made the same. All yellow would look a bit too much like candles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Heh. That was a quick use.

Well I quite like it, but I think you've made the cones on the top of the castle towers a little... rainbow. They look a little too bright to me. If you coloured them all the same colour as you've done the smallest cone (the dark one) I think it would look pretty cool. Or at the very least, ditch the yellow.
    Heh.. yea... I was going to (try) do some by hand, but your wireframe versions were just to useful to pass up. I just pasted into a new image added shading (dodge/burn) based on my light angle and the color and copy/pasted in. I could not use the houses as they were way to dark with the shading on this type of map, so will do my own when I get time. I did play with it a tad more after that upload and ended up adding a blur to the even out the lines and make it a bit more in line with the map itself.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I did the houses in a diferent way by basically distorting and skewing my original house brush to make it a little more iso and then I flipped it and edited it as I made the other ones, so I never really had an outline to work from.
    Having said that though, I've taken a few of those house brushes and deleted all the shading to leave very simplified outlines for the purpose of shrinking and flipping as I try and get some decent looking city brushes.
    You're welcome to those house outlines if you want them. They're nothing special though.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This is where this went - that's what happens when you change the name of your posts .

I like how this is going. The coniferous forests are lovely and the overall colouration of the map is great.

There are a few things that stand out though. Your compass, tree trunks and castle are perfectly sharp and detailed at the individual pixel level. Everything else on the map is slightly blurred and more watercolour in style. The contrast is striking and makes those features look cut and pasted. A bit of work (duplicate and blur/smudge perhaps, possibly reduce the overall opacity to let the paper texture and colour show through?) will help these to blend into the rest of the map.

What are the future plans for the Garnok region? Just a castle or is there more to come?

I do really like the ice shelf. It works well.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    This is where this went - that's what happens when you change the name of your posts .

I like how this is going. The coniferous forests are lovely and the overall colouration of the map is great.

There are a few things that stand out though. Your compass, tree trunks and castle are perfectly sharp and detailed at the individual pixel level. Everything else on the map is slightly blurred and more watercolour in style. The contrast is striking and makes those features look cut and pasted. A bit of work (duplicate and blur/smudge perhaps, possibly reduce the overall opacity to let the paper texture and colour show through?) will help these to blend into the rest of the map.

What are the future plans for the Garnok region? Just a castle or is there more to come?

I do really like the ice shelf. It works well.
    Everything you say has already been noted... The existing compass is just a place holder. I will be doing a shaded Warhammer (with spiky top pointed north) that has a parchment like the existing on when I get on near the end for my final compass... In the local copy, I have already blurred the castle lines also to make it fit in a bit better as well as a tad more blur on the walls of the cliffs. I am waiting until my other computer comes back so I can get my brush for the trees to re plant under the trees in the NE and then will blur the whole layer a touch.

Yes, there will absolutely be more locations added before I am finished. That kind of carved out area of the mountains right of where the trail ends will get a twin tower type thing as the gates to Garnok. I will also be placing at least 2-3 other cities as well as 2-3 villages and was thinking of doing up a few huts/yurts for the area between the cliffs and the NE forest to represent barbarian tribes that roam the tundra. Not sure if/where I can fit it in, but might also be the gates to another Dwarven city in the Northern mountains also.

Finally, I will probably add a bit more distressing to the whole parchment texture at the very end of the process.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok... another minor update... Added another city. blurred both. Blurred the cliffs a bit more. Blurred the Compass (might end up keeping this one.. not sure..)

I like the way it's coming along now... A few more settlements, a river or three and this one should be close to done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParchmentMap4.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	19187  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Fair enough. You're still going to be detailing this on a smaller scale than before. It might be worth sharpening up the terrain features instead of blurring your new details. A small hard brush and a hard light layer might well do the trick pretty quickly. Then you'll be able to get away with more fine detail in your new features.

Ok.. another small update. Redid my tree brush, added back and blurred them.

Views:	54 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	19204  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Ok.. another small update. used some of the icons Ramah made as well as some others and added a few more locations, notably the Gates of Garnok, the players initial starting point when they finally get out into the upper world...

Views:	58 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	19240  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

About the only thing that I can see is that the two castles in/near the mountains might be too dark of coloring, make em a lil bit lighter. Minor, shrug, you know what yer doin. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast