Thread: Mount Saint-Helen

Default Mount Saint-Helen

Hi folks,
    this is a map of the Volcano Saint-Helens. I used photoshop for the basemap, and QGIS to load DEM data for the 3D view.
    I'm quite fond of making fractal art with photoshop lately, so i tried to mix the map with some fractal forms, not sure the results mix very well but i wanted to give it a try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINALE.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	91457

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    Hi folks,
    this is a map of the Volcano Saint-Helens. I used photoshop for the basemap, and QGIS to load DEM data for the 3D view.
    I'm quite fond of making fractal art with photoshop lately, so i tried to mix the map with some fractal forms, not sure the results mix very well but i wanted to give it a try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINALE.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	91457
    Wow. I love how the image has a quasi comic book feel. At least on mobile. Great work. Also inspiring. I wonder if Blender could handle that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

Thanks for the feedback kalmarjan

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan View Post
    Great work. Also inspiring. I wonder if Blender could handle that...
    About doing that kind of stuff with blender, it could be possible in theory. It is possible to export the 3D render from QGIS in collada format, but last time i tried to import those files in sketchup, my computer gave up, too much polygons. Maybe blender is a bit stronger for really big files?

I've seen some posts on the blender forums which had models of million+ polygons. It probably runs slow though depending on your machine. It's not ideal.

I'm not really fond of the frame, but the map itself is gorgeous! Well done, Francissimo .

Thanks for the rep dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I'm not really fond of the frame, but the map itself is gorgeous! Well done, Francissimo .
    Yep i feel too that the frame doesnt really fit with the map, i was so much into drawing fractals with photoshop that i couldn't stop me from adding a few ones in that map , but not really happy with the result

I really like the way this is done

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Sunday morning, may 18th, 1980. I was 12 years old and dressed in my sunday best as I was getting ready to go to church with my mom. She told me to go wait in the car and she would be right there. I walked outside and looked around. Everywhere, as far as the eye could see, was covered in a very light gray ash. It was almost as if the entire world had been colored gray. You could barely see any color on anything as the ash not only stuck to rooftops and trees, but it was a weird kind of sticky and had stuck to the sides of all the buildings and it seemed to be electrically charged. If you tried to get it off of your hands, it didn't seem to really want to go. It just spread around. It was probably the most surreal experience of my life as I didn't know what was going on. I had no idea that Mount Saint Helens had blown it's top. I had slept through the explosion, though I vaguely remember slightly being woken up by it.

I like the map. Interesting that you added the lava like that. At the time of the main explosion I don't know if there was any actual lava but there was certainly super hot mud that flowed down and brought millions of tons of trees and debris with it that took out whole towns and bridges and highways. It was crazy.

Wow that must have been the kind of experience you'll never forget Tonnichiwa. Just watching the 3D model makes you realise how huge the explosion was, but living it for real must have been crazy!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Yeah, it was definitely an experience that is hard to forget. To this day they still sell jewelry and artwork made from the ashes of that Volcano in Pike Place Market in Seattle.

Just a slight correction if I may. I know it isn't proper English, but the mountain is actually called "Mount Saint Helens".

They built a bunch of viewing sites around the volcano where you can go and look at the devastation it caused. You can still see the miles and miles of trees that are laying down in the direction of the explosion. And you can see where the lake used to be that was completely filled in with super hot mud. You can go to the interpretive center and see the old clippings from the papers back then and watch the news footage. There are a lot of very sad stories that go with this mountain.

The interpretive center said that scientists are afraid that 30 years after this explosion that there would be another almost as bad. It's been 37 years now. The Volcano has erupted many times since then but none as bad as that one in 1980.