Thread: Guild City - Overall Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfinity View Post
    I did see mention in one of the other threads about the work that goes into the zoomable maps (I'm a software engineer, programmer, code monkey whatever you want to call it) So learning about the process involved there does sound fun to me. If you ever do a tutorial, please let me know (or is there one in the tutorial section already?). I'm sure I could figure it out or find a tutorial somewhere else, but there is a difference learning from some random site and learning from a person you know does something and does it well.
    The leaflet site has a load of tutorials on it so I just took some samples and played about. The hardest part is to make the tile set for it which is outside of the scope of the tutorials. But if your a code monkey then get some perl / python etc and run up some scripts to output a script and get image magick to create the tiles. It would take a while but its possible. You only need a 1K image chopped into 4x4 + 2x2 + 1 of 256x256 pixel tiles to make a sample set to start playing with. We use a 16K image with 6 levels of tiles but its all the same. Theres a couple of weird things about using your own tiles with an ortho view instead of something like mercator but with a bit of faffing you will get it working. Putting your own markers down is dead easy. Putting them down with links to other items is a little more tricky but not too bad. I have not played with all the other stuff like vector shapes, image overlays and so on. If you go to the main guild city thread where we discussed it all I have a link to a zoomable map I made for some nature site. From that one you should be able to view source and see the java script I used for it. On here its hidden by the php. Have a concerted go at the leaflet tuts and then start a thread about it and show up how you got on or post some questions and ill see how I can help.

Edit: Oh look - GDAL has a leaflet tile maker -> http://www.gdal.org/gdal2tiles.html
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-19-2017 at 04:05 PM.