Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easteorra (Remake of my very first custom map)

This is quite lovely wired! Your hand drawn style has really come into its own. I particularly like the mountains and those settlement icons. The border is nice as well. Great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Really nice and lots of interest and places to explore, your coloring on this is outstanding great job.

What more can be said that hasn't already been said? Great map

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Thanks everybody for the very kind comments, I hope to finish a follow-up map to this in during the next weeks.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

This is an extraordinary map. I would LOVE to see a walkthrough of your process creating the icons and the unique detailed places of the map like the forts and the RUINS or the Sentinal stones. I would very very much want to learn how to do those like that.
    And the way you did your fonts...nice! Any tips on that?

This is truly one type of map I would like to make one day. Well done!
    Last edited by XCali; 05-19-2017 at 03:08 PM.

There's not much more to be said, but for what it's worth I think it's amazing! Apart from the majesty of the entire map, the subtle detail put into some of the areas (like the grass in the Far Greens area) really make this map stand out up close. Great job, I can only dream of making maps like that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    This is an extraordinary map. I would LOVE to see a walkthrough of your process creating the icons and the unique detailed places of the map like the forts and the RUINS or the Sentinal stones. I would very very much want to learn how to do those like that.
    There's really nothing special involved: it's basically just sketching, then straight lineart, then coloring and shading. The secret, if you can call it, is to make sure the elements themselves look consistent, and that they stand out enough against the background.
    And the way you did your fonts...nice! Any tips on that?
    Use a font site like Dafont, pick the royalty-free slash public license option, then play around with the Photoshop layer styles a bit.
    This is truly one type of map I would like to make one day. Well done!
    Just practice and you'll get there, I'm certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemence View Post
    There's not much more to be said, but for what it's worth I think it's amazing! Apart from the majesty of the entire map, the subtle detail put into some of the areas (like the grass in the Far Greens area) really make this map stand out up close. Great job, I can only dream of making maps like that in the future.
    Thank you, and good luck with your own projects.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    There's really nothing special involved: it's basically just sketching, then straight lineart, then coloring and shading. The secret, if you can call it, is to make sure the elements themselves look consistent, and that they stand out enough against the background.
    Use a font site like Dafont, pick the royalty-free slash public license option, then play around with the Photoshop layer styles a bit.
    Just practice and you'll get there, I'm certain.
    Awesome. Thanks for the tips.
    Two questions though, what font did you end up using for that map, if I may ask?

About the unique parts of your map. How did you do the statues(the sentinal stones) How did you approach them and got them so good? (Meaning, I know that with something random like cliffs it is easy to do lineart for them and chip away at them on the PC until they get out nice. But the sentinal stones are anything but random. It needs precision. Well done with that. )

Drawing something like this, for me, means looking for reference material. Here's that'd be the Argonath from LotR.

This is completely amazing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast