Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New battlemap-creation software on the way

Oh, I'm familiar with ViewingDale. I just thought he might have made a mapping app, rather than a VTT.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Blog Entries

It started out as a mapping app but it was a requirement that it render fast so that I could do the zoom. So if I can render fast then I could change it at the same time so I added networking to it and then you could move the bits of the map over the network in real time. So it sort of morphed into a VTT. Although I think we all developed our apps at about the same time for a year or two without anybody elses apps out there as a reference, (not even google maps at the time) we all released our apps at about the same time. I recall Kloogeworks first but I am unsure it had much of a visual interface. Then around late summer 2005 we had mine, yours, and then maptool all came out within about 3 months.

I have retired my app for the time being. I am porting it to linux but it runs pretty good under wine. But I want to access the hardware graphics of the raspberry pi. Last year RPi got hardware accellerated GL driver. (I should explain for the linux bods that I want it without a desktop - i.e. no X - so no wine on rpi). I have not had as much time to devote to it so its ongoing. Doing a lot of code refactoring at the same time which makes it twice as hard but ultimately worth it. I will get there - eventually.

I did write GeoTerSys as well which is my terrain generation program. Not quite a mapping program and its command line only and a total pain to use. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDe43KserA0). It was used as part of the MeDem (Middle Earth Digital Elevation Model) build which doesn't have a web site right now tho I am told one is in the pipeline. MeDem data set was ported to Outerra which is a really cool 3D terrain renderer that is jaw dropping and totally not mine at all. So try checking out youtube medem on outerra. You can download the data and an Outerra demo to run it free but you need windows and a good graphics card. Not sure how to set it up anymore - see outerra.com for however you are supposed to do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...a+middle+earth
    So I spent quite a lot of time on MeDem instead of working on VDale... Outerra has just added river support so soon we had better export all our rivers into their native format then the rivers will look good. Theres a big thread about medem on this site with more technical info and the process etc:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1332

But most of my maps I do over here I use another app I wrote which is a programmable texture engine which is well cool and very small. Another unreleased command line app. I don't do so many maps thesedays. Can't compete with the raw artistic talent around these parts.

Oh and always good to see you here too Hernan. You should drop by here more often. I know you have a pretty active forum yourself without having to take on others too but I havent looked at how BattlegroundsRPG is doing. In fact cant recall the last time we had VTT (software) posts - must be neigh on a year or so.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 02-17-2017 at 06:29 PM.

I just wanted to thank Bogie for this announcement he posted in the News subforum and Mark Oliva for this update (because it's not possible to respond in those threads). You guys are awesome!

And to update that update, the MapForge Kickstarter has since blasted past the first Stretch Goal, which means that 5 free Add-Ons will be produced and released, some of which even allow for publishing and commercial use. More info here. As for the funding, it just broke $21K.

Quick question: Are CC3 symbols in a standard/open format, or in a proprietary one? Are they simply vector shapes, or is there more to a symbol than that? I ask because MapForge could work with vector shapes, so I'm wondering if that presents an opportunity to greatly expand the potential usable art library.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Quote Originally Posted by heruca View Post
    Quick question: Are CC3 symbols in a standard/open format, or in a proprietary one? Are they simply vector shapes, or is there more to a symbol than that? I ask because MapForge could work with vector shapes, so I'm wondering if that presents an opportunity to greatly expand the potential usable art library.
    The CC3+ vector symbols are in a proprietary format, but their line-tone character, I think, would make most of them rather useless in the types of maps that MapForge makes.

The CC3+ raster (bitmap) symbols all are normal PNGs, but be careful here! ProFantasy has very, very tight license restrictions on its symbols.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Stretch Goal #3 has been unlocked! MapForge will now have 9 free content Add-Ons! That should help offset the modest cost of the software.

An Update will be posted tonight on the KS page to preview the 4 Add-Ons there were just unlocked.

The MapForge Kickstarter campaign now has well over 1000 backers, and 18 days remain.
    Give MapForge a try.

Blog Entries

Cool - Well done ! I have no doubt that you will deliver something excellent and worthy of their backing.

I think if I make you a software dev / publisher then you can post into the news section yourself. I thought that you had it already. Edit - checked and you do but it doesnt seem to show. Anyway, you may be able to post into the news yourself. Edit2: There you go - green name, software dev / rep.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-06-2017 at 06:07 PM.

I already have that status, I was just beaten to it.
    Give MapForge a try.

Quote Originally Posted by heruca View Post
    An Update will be posted tonight on the KS page to preview the 4 Add-Ons there were just unlocked.
    Here's a link to that Update.
    Give MapForge a try.

Looks like a good piece of software for quick maps. Nice presentation.

Thanks, Falconius.

I just announced a couple more content Add-Ons for MapForge, including one from Bogie. That makes around 9 Add-Ons that allow for publishing and/or commercial use, plus 9 completely free Add-Ons that make for an awesome "Starter Set".

The MapForge Kickstarter campaign now has close to 1300 backers, and 12 days remain, during which the last Stretch Goal will almost certainly be unlocked (just $3K to go).
    Give MapForge a try.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast