Thread: Workaround for disappearring-objects glitch in AutoREALM ver 2.2.1

Tutorial Workaround for disappearring-objects glitch in AutoREALM ver 2.2.1

SHORT VERSION:

1 - Do something reversible such as {draw a line; OR click a main/fill/text/background/grid color button and select a color (I default to black), OR translate color, OR add a rosette or text, OR group some stuff};
    2 - Then CTRL-Z;
    2.a - Rinse and repeat a time or two more if the first run doesn't magically bring back your objects (this sounds really stupid and is inexplicable to me, but just do it anyway).

NOTE: just a workaround, not a fix -- you'll have to do this the next time that you open the program, and the next, and the next...

*** EDIT: ALTERNATIVE FIX.
    -- I belatedly tried (Edit -> Select All), copied the entire map, and pasted it into a fresh empty one, which mostly worked (the [vertical] pipes beneath my mile marker are still out of whack, but all of the other objects are at least staying visible so far).

= = = = =

LONG VERSION:

I discovered today that objects in my map were no longer there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 - Objects have disappeared.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	108145

I'm new to AutoREALM, but have decades of experience with programs' Gremlins (and 20 years as a maintenance troop), so I started with the obvious settings and such, and went on to trying anything no matter how unrelated. The first thing that I discovered was that the objects seemed to still be there upon clicking them individually, but bring-to-front didn't do anything, nor did send-to-back when tried on what should have been background (but could conceivably have ben covering the objects... some-ridiculous-how...).

Name:	3 - selecting everything shows invisible obects far south of continents.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	108146

I tried fit (to put all of the map into a single screen of viewspace) and select-all -- and lo and behold, it did something really weird (there seemed to be objects greatly separated from their original [farther north] locations). You're surprised, right? Yeah, me neither.

Name:	4 - zooming the objects larger shows them to be some of my ''disappeared'' objects.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	108147

I zoomed them to large scale, and they were some of the objects that had gone invisible on me... so clearly the data weren't exactly gone, just... screwy. I've seen plenty of bizarre things magically fix themselves by doing completely unrelated things, so I just clicked here and there in the hope of something jogging it all back into place.

Name:	5 - tried colors, c-w incl text outline, and objects showed up.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	108148

I got it going again on my first couple of tries using the color buttons and CTRL-Z. That worked, but only sort of: they were gone again after I closed and reopened the map, but the workaround worked each time that I did this. Finding the workaround straight out of the gate is statistically unlikely as h*ll, so I tried this with other operations, and the CTRL-Z function brought back the objects like a champ.

I hope that this helps someone, somehow. :-)
    Last edited by Rock; 07-05-2018 at 12:34 AM.