Thread: New battlemap-creation software on the way

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Lack of physical RAM is a problem whatever bit program your using I agree. But what I was saying is that if you had say 16Gb of physical RAM and you want to run a 32bit app which then limits the apps process to being able to access 2 or 3Gb or so (depending on the setup) then you have 13Gb of physical RAM you cant access unless you use a 64 bit app. But you can run a 32 bit app which creates many processes (instead of many threads) whereby each process can run up 3Gb of allocation. So its possible to have a 32 bit app use all 16Gb of physical RAM. Most web browsers open a new tab in a new process because a) it isolates the page from other pages which is for security and b) you can have pages running up large memory footprints and have many of those pages. So what I was saying is that being a 32 bit app is not a hard limit to accessing large amounts of RAM. But a lack of memory sticks in the machine is always going to be a problem for large multi layered maps no matter how you slice it. But if you can only compile / write 32 bit apps (see herucas post #12) then its not a dead end situation for the ability to deliver large mapping capabilies.

The XCF thing I agree with you. It didnt appear from post #14 as though that was what you were saying. But with that clarification - I agree.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 02-17-2017 at 06:45 AM.