Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New battlemap-creation software on the way

Default New battlemap-creation software on the way

Hi folks. I am going to be creating cross-platform map-making software (for Windows and macOS), suitable for creating both for print-resolution maps and lower res maps suitable for use with virtual tabletop software. The program will be sort of a spiritual successor to Dundjinni, but with a greater focus on stitching maps together from pre-existing map tiles and then customizing the resulting map (with additional decorations, etc.) to suit the GM's particular needs.

The program should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

In late January or early February 2017, I'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign to try to fund the program's development. The software will be priced to be very accessible/affordable, likely in the $20-$25 range (at least during the Kickstarter campaign).

I'm trying to gauge public interest in this, so please let me know if such software would be of interest to you.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

I think 1280x700 (ish) might be the minimum display resolution required to use my program. Would that leave many people out, aside from netbook users?
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

I can now reveal the name of my mapping program: MapForge

And, for now at least, this is the app's icon.
    Give MapForge a try.

Totally different from https://github.com/mapsforge/mapsforge then?

Completely.
    Give MapForge a try.

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Having names that similar might cause confusion. Just sayin'.

Getting close now! The MapForge Kickstarter campaign will launch either on Feb 18th or Feb 20th.
    Give MapForge a try.

Looking forward to this Heruca!

Only because you asked for feedback:

1) Will it be another outdated 32-bit program or will it discover that we live in a 64-bit world?

2) Will it be strictly a battlemap program (as Dundjinni is for the most part) or will it be versatile enough to be a really useful application for city and overland maps too?

3) If it will be useful for city and overland maps too, will it support objects with different scales for different types of maps?

4) Will it be able to use PNG objects (symbols) and textures (fills) from other sources?

These would be key issues for me in deciding whether I'd do kickstarter support or buy the product.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

While it is primarily for battlemaps, I can see using MapForge to create town & village maps and overland/area maps. You could probably make something along these lines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image017.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	92683

I don't really see MapForge being particularly well-suited for city maps and world maps.

MapForge can be used with artwork from your own library (PNGs, for the most part), so using existing collections like CSUAC and the Vintyri art will be nice. Textures can be BMPs or JPGs, too.

It'll run on 64-bit, but I suspect the executable is 32-bit.
    Give MapForge a try.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast