Thread: The Tyrian Reach of Isles

Help The Tyrian Reach of Isles - Assistance Needed

Hey Guys!

This is one of my first REAL attempts at mapping for a D&D setting called "The Tyrian Reach of Isles". I decided that since I used to come here, I'd try and make a map using some tutorials and this is the outcome of the first Island, Tyria.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyrian Reach Isles Map (WIP).png 
Views:	83 
Size:	663.6 KB 
ID:	91351

A few things to note:

- I am going to make it easier to read the text by erasing around them on the lower levels, I am currently keeping it so I don't make any mistakes later.

- Mountains on this map are tricky, as I don't know where they would go but I do know that I need them near the Imperial Capital Arnich.

- Roads that don't connect are like that for future, in case a mountain range will go there.

- All roads head to Arnich, as it is the capital of the empire. It is the largest city in the Reach.

- This is the first of possibly FIVE islands which are, Ossory, Tyria, Haerya, Morea, and Ebna.

- I need a good source for some ocean images like a Compass rose and some sailing ships or some of those steampunky ships from Dishonored would be great.

- Please opinionate so far.
    Last edited by TrueUndeadHero; 01-16-2017 at 01:11 AM.

It looks like an interesting start. Very clean job, so far.

Thanks, the first island is heavily based off of Svalbard I believe, what I really need help with is the mountain placement as I don't want a lot, but at least something. It's the one thing preventing me from placing full roads.

I am finding trouble getting inspiration for this map and how the islands should be shaped. That and I get this sinking feeling I messed up the grid.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

I think you have a solid start on your map so far, True'. Maybe you could place a range of mountains along the coast between the capital and Boldry? Though I'm certainly not an expert, my reasoning for this is that this location may be where a tectonic plate converges with another , causing the formation of "fold mountains". Source here. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks for that! Ironically, the hardest thing so far was the border outside because I keep telling myself to add more to it to make it "pwetty". I started working on the Island of Ossory and will hopefully be updating by the end of the week (work and all)

By TrueUndeadHero
    I am finding trouble getting inspiration for this map and how the islands should be shaped
    I often take inspiration from the real world for this kind of things.

Been sick the past few days when I was the most inspired and the most feverish, and tried to get some things done (Not easy to do with a mouse and key board)

While I know it doesn't look much different, I assure you it isn't.

However, I decided after looking at islands that Ossory would fit in with a mix of the craggy, broken style of many Scandinavian islands I have found. This is more of an update for me, than it is a progress update.

I have decided how the island of Tyria will be geographically, which is actually a surprise to me because I wasn't thinking geography would be on this map until ALL the islands were on the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyrian Reach Isles Map (WIP).png 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	91720