Thread: Map This! - Cartography Services

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Vandy's Latest SC4 Maps - Republic of Wamusco

Hi, All.

Here is the second in the Wamusco Map Series.

The Wamusco Series: Reupblic of Wamusco

What in the world is a "Wamusco"? Well, I don't have a clue, either. I go through quite a process when naming my maps and, to be honest with you, I was at a loss as to what to call these four maps. Suddenly, without warning and totally out of the blue, a thought came into my head -- "Call them Wamusco." It sounded just strange enough to work. Consequently, the four maps I am presenting to you all have the word "Wamusco" in their titles.

I will be presenting a SC4Terraformer 2D (with city boundaries) and 3D views of each of the four region maps. I'll also be showing a SC4 umodded rendering of each map and a SC4 modded rendering of each map showing a different terrain mod.

Let me give you a bit of the history behind how these maps were created. Using Terragen, v0.9.43 I created a terrain then "played" with it until I got something I liked. I saved the .TER file for later use. Next, using World Machine 2 Basic, I used the .TER file as a device import file to create a terrain. After "hooking up" my devices and setting the various device parameters to my liking, I saved the resulting .TMD terrain file as a 16-bit .PNG file. I then imported the .PNG file into SC4Terrafomer and, using that excellent application, "tweaked" the terrain to ensure it looked as close to the original .TMD file as possible. Finally, I did some flattening, smoothing and contouring to make the resulting region a bit more "playable" in SimCity 4.

All of the maps have region dimensions of 513 x 513 pixels and config.bmp dimensions of 8 x 8 pixels. (The reasoning here is because World Machine 2 Basic only supports region sizes of up to 513 x 513 pixels. One has to purchase the Standard or Professional version to support larger regions.)

Republic of Wamusco

Original World Machine .TMD Output File

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Republic of Wamusco 2OCT08.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	8326

SC4TF 2D Region View With City Boundaries

Name:	02 - SC4TF 2D Region with Cities.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	8327

SC4TF 3D Region View

Name:	00 - SC4TF 3D Region.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	8328

SC4 Rendered Region (Unmodded)

Name:	03 - Region Census (Unmodded).jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	8329

SC4 Rendered Region (Modded)

Name:	04 - Region Census (Modded).jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	8330

I hope you've enjoyed this map.

Regards,

Gary
    Last edited by Vandy; 12-10-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Post Vandy's Latest SC4 Maps - Wamusco National Park

Hi, All.

Here is the third in the Wamusco Map Series.

The Wamusco Series: Wamusco National Park

What in the world is a "Wamusco"? Well, I don't have a clue, either. I go through quite a process when naming my maps and, to be honest with you, I was at a loss as to what to call these four maps. Suddenly, without warning and totally out of the blue, a thought came into my head -- "Call them Wamusco." It sounded just strange enough to work. Consequently, the four maps I am presenting to you all have the word "Wamusco" in their titles.

I will be presenting a SC4Terraformer 2D (with city boundaries) and 3D views of each of the four region maps. I'll also be showing a SC4 umodded rendering of each map and a SC4 modded rendering of each map showing a different terrain mod.

Let me give you a bit of the history behind how these maps were created. Using Terragen, v0.9.43 I created a terrain then "played" with it until I got something I liked. I saved the .TER file for later use. Next, using World Machine 2 Basic, I used the .TER file as a device import file to create a terrain. After "hooking up" my devices and setting the various device parameters to my liking, I saved the resulting .TMD terrain file as a 16-bit .PNG file. I then imported the .PNG file into SC4Terrafomer and, using that excellent application, "tweaked" the terrain to ensure it looked as close to the original .TMD file as possible. Finally, I did some flattening, smoothing and contouring to make the resulting region a bit more "playable" in SimCity 4.

All of the maps have region dimensions of 513 x 513 pixels and config.bmp dimensions of 8 x 8 pixels. (The reasoning here is because World Machine 2 Basic only supports region sizes of up to 513 x 513 pixels. One has to purchase the Standard or Professional version to support larger regions.)

Wamusco National park

Name:	Wamusco National_Park 02OCT08.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	8331

Views:	161 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	8332

SC4TF 3D Region View

Views:	130 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	8333

Views:	117 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	8334

Views:	124 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	8335

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980

Post Vandy's Latest SC4 Maps - Wamusco Volcano

Hi, All.

Here is the fourth and final map in the Wamusco Map Series.

The Wamusco Series: Wamusco Volcano

Let me give you a bit of the history behind how this map was created. This map is my results from a World Machine tutoria. Using World Machine 2 Basic, I "hooking up" my devices and setting the various device parameters to my liking, I saved the resulting .TMD terrain file as a 16-bit .PNG file. I then imported the .PNG file into SC4Terrafomer and, using that excellent application, "tweaked" the terrain to ensure it looked as close to the original .TMD file as possible. Finally, I did some flattening, smoothing and contouring to make the resulting region a bit more "playable" in SimCity 4.

Wamusco Volcano

Name:	Wamusco Volcano 24SEP08.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	8336

Views:	138 
ID:	8337

SC4TF 3D Region View

Views:	120 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	8338

Views:	149 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	8339

Views:	118 
ID:	8340

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980