Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horitea (Name may change in the future), my first map [WIP]

Guild Journeyer

For tapering, I followed this small tuto and this works quite fine for me on GIMP 2.8.16. With some tries, you should get it

Quote Originally Posted by Mornagest View Post
    For tapering, I followed this small tuto and this works quite fine for me on GIMP 2.8.16. With some tries, you should get it
    That's amazing! Although it still is a little fiddly with varying river lengths, it should work with some effort on my part! Thank you very much for all your help, Mornagest!

Guild Journeyer

You're welcome !

Yes, I guess it is possible to specify the "quickness" of the tapering along the line, but I must admit I didn't try as my rivers are quite short (and my map is small).

edit : that's it, you must make vary the length of tapering and the size of the brush, so you can figure out different sizes of rivers :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taper.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	91681
    Last edited by Mornagest; 01-23-2017 at 06:49 AM.

I seem to think one of RobA's earlier tutorials went into making tapered rivers in GIMP.... might be worth a quick search.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

https://cartographersguild.com/showt...ighlight=taper

and if you are willing to use inkscape as an add on to your process flow:

My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You have a very intersting map already. I prefer the more muted colors of your last version. Some labels are a bit too much curvy, like the Golf von Stain. Don't bother to follow the exact form of your coast/region, the "general" form is enough to match it, and it's gonna be more easy to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    You have a very intersting map already. I prefer the more muted colors of your last version. Some labels are a bit too much curvy, like the Golf von Stain. Don't bother to follow the exact form of your coast/region, the "general" form is enough to match it, and it's gonna be more easy to read.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll see how it looks with a more linear labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I seem to think one of RobA's earlier tutorials went into making tapered rivers in GIMP.... might be worth a quick search.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post

and if you are willing to use inkscape as an add on to your process flow:

Thank you very much! The tutorial will be very helpful I think. I'll have to see what Inkscape actually is before I can say whether I'll use it But I'll take a look at that, it looks very promising.

Hey guys, I'm back with an update.

I redid the rivers, mainly. I also changed the lettering for some names but am not yet satisfied with "Golf von Satin" and "Andrakien". Adding colour to the rivers seems to work well, however it kind of doesn't work with the darkish blue I chose for the "Republik Dennamir" territory.

Any critique is greatly appreciated. On a side note, I wanted to mention that this is primarily a test map and doesn't serve any further purpose than me practicing map making and using GIMP. I plan on doing maps for my D&D campaign settings in the future once I am a little more experienced.

Latest WIP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dakiria - Rivers Redone.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	8.37 MB 
ID:	93941

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123