Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syrigari Map

Default Syrigari Map

Gosh, am I happy to be able to post this.

The last few months of 2016 were... not great. Every map and world-building related thing I tried fell completely apart and I don't think I got a single thing finished between September and the end of the year. Now, I FINALLY feel like I'm starting to beat the rut I've been in, and, lo and behold, I actually got a map done! Even better, I don't hate this like I did the last one! Of course there's always room for improvement, but all in all, I'm pretty glad how this turned out. Damn, it feels fantastic to be productive again!

For this one I wanted to try a simple style, a map perhaps aimed a bit more for illustration than information. Almost everything is drawn freehand this time - mark my words, I shall master this tablet yet!

In case anyone is interested, this is a setting I cooked up last around last summer, heavily inspired by Finnish folklore and such. I'm hoping to maybe write a story or two that take place in this world somwday (of course I've been saying that for years about numerous settings, but you know, gotta stay positive and all that).

Well, I digress... Here's the map, anywho.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VanhainmaatCG.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	8.09 MB 
ID:	91501

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

There is a certain "midnight sun" flavor to your map that's seizing. Great job and rep-worthy !

Guild Expert

Wow, very nice Kelleri, I love these dark colours...Excellent map.

This is really nicely done, although a little too dark to really appreciate the beauty of it . Congrats on working through your issues, it so frustrating when it doens't seem to come together, and I'm sure everyone here has had that experience. I know I have, I still have a couple that I've tried multiple times and just cannt get to work and the more I work on it the more frustrated I get and then shelf again and try something new. Glad you see you back in the productive mode, you do great work!

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    This is really nicely done, although a little too dark to really appreciate the beauty of it . Congrats on working through your issues, it so frustrating when it doens't seem to come together, and I'm sure everyone here has had that experience. I know I have, I still have a couple that I've tried multiple times and just cannt get to work and the more I work on it the more frustrated I get and then shelf again and try something new. Glad you see you back in the productive mode, you do great work!
    Thank you kindly! You are right about the darkness though - looking at it now on a different screen, it is a lot darker than I realized. I think I need to tweak the settings on my main monitor a bit, it really didn't look this dark when I was still working on it... Rats, I thought I dealt with this already.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VanhainmaatCG2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	9.01 MB 
ID:	91505

I tried giving the map a quick brightening - does it by any chance look any less grim now?

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I didn't mind the darkness...
    I find very impressive as you manage to make this map both dark and yet colorful!
    Very nice work, with a real atmosphere !!!

Good work !

And glad to hear that you're back on tracks !

Small question: what is under the red cross?

Wow, beautiful! Love the thick, inky linework, and the trees.
    Just such a neat style!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Very nice map, Kelleri! The combination of the heavy line and the subtle shading make the mountains very effective. I also like tho forests and ripples a lot.
    Well done!

I love this new style of yours...a very own flavor to it. Simple but elegant and nice looking.

BUT......waaaay to dark for my taste. The second version is better in that department but still too dark for me. I like a clearer/unobstructed "view" of the map (i think it'd look great in genuine colors without the dark overlay/filter/what-ever-it-is*). But to each their own, as they say.

* in this comment you can see that i have no idea about map-making software and how it works
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast