Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Year Down and Hopefully Many More to Come

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Post 1 Year Down and Hopefully Many More to Come

Okay I don't want to write an essay to get through, so I'll try to keep this pretty short and sweet.

I think for many people 2016 wasn't the best of years, or was a strange year at least. I can honestly say that my 2016 wasn't great at all, with many weird negatives seeming to happen without many positives. I do try to stay optimistic through all of this though, and I just wanted to say that it's been exactly a year ago today that I joined the Guild and first started mapping.

I've definitely learnt a lot about maps, software, techniques and though sometimes it can be frustrating and pieces don't always get finished, it's still been a real joy to be a part of this community. I know I don't always join in all the conversations, and I read a good many that I'm not a part of, and I know it's said a lot, but everyone on here really is always supportive and friendly.

I hope I've managed to help other people out with their mapping along the way, as other have certainly helped with mine, whether from the tutorials, my own threads or just the little nuggets that pop up so often along the way.

Basically, all in all, what I want to say is, 2016 wasn't a great year, but mapping and this community in general were certainly a bright light in it all that helped me get through it. A year ago today, I certainly didn't expect to have got so into mapping and developed my skills so far, so I want to thank everyone who's been a part of that journey, who helped and inspired me along the way, and no doubt will continue to do so for many others.

I feel like I should end this post with a anniversary map or some such, but, alas, I don't have a map to celebrate, so here is a picture of my little corn snake, Tang, who is the real winner of the continuing COCONUT WAR...so ChickPea just know if you steal those coconuts, you're stealing this little girl's house...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2502.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	6.24 MB 
ID:	91581

That's all. Have a great day everyone!

Happy Anniversary!

Tang is adorable!

I didn't realise you'd only been here a year! (shows how often I do much more than glance at people's avatars just to recognise who's speaking!). Looking forward to seeing many more beautiful maps from you

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Happy Mapiversary!!!
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Huh, I also thought GLS had been here much longer... though I've only been here two years myself!

I'm glad you discovered the Guild, and that it's become a bright spot when things are tough. I feel the same. I think of the Guild as one of my 'homes' on the internet. Sometimes I'm too busy to leave comments, when I'd really like to join the discussion, but I always enjoy reading what people have to say and checking out their maps.

It shows what a great community we have when, every once in a while, people spontaneously start a group project. Last year, for the 10th Anniversary, it was Guild World. Right now, we've got Guild City. The way things are going in the world, maybe next year, we can all do Guild Pubs... so that I can drink to forget!!

Finally, all hail Tang, glorious victor of the Coconut Wars of 2016! See, it wasn't all bad last year.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more about the Guild, GLS.

Even though I'm still more of a lurker than anything (hell, I don't think I've reached 100 posts yet and I've had an account since 2014), I visit this site multiple times a day and always enjoy the maps and conversations surrounding them. I found this site trying to find an easy guide on how to make a quick map for a setting I was working on... Now almost three years later the setting is dead and buried, as is the map (and thank heavens, it was really terrible), but cartography has become a beloved hobby I enjoy entirely on its own right. And I have the Guild to thank for that.

So, here's for a better year! Lets all have a good one!

All Hail Tang.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Congratulations! My first year anniversary join date is in just a few days as well. Since I've joined I've always thought of you as a pal on here. Perhaps because we joined at around the same time. It's been good to get to know you the little bit that I have.

P.S. Awesome snake!!!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

It is often surprising how time flies and also how people seem to have been here longer.
    It's great to have you here GLS And Tang is cute.

ChickPea - You need pubs? You got pubs...
    Check #04

Congrats and glad to have you here . You're a (very) active member, and I also would have believed you were a guild member for a longer time.
    And fun picture, that explains your avatar. Now, I'm sad I don't have a salamander companion .

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Happy Anniversary!

Tang is adorable!

I didn't realise you'd only been here a year! (shows how often I do much more than glance at people's avatars just to recognise who's speaking!). Looking forward to seeing many more beautiful maps from you
    Thanks, Mouse. Tango really is very sweet and she has such a calm temperament too, so often comes out to help with mapping.

It feels like you've been here a lot longer than you have Mouse, as you've become such an active part of the community. Everywhere I look you pop up with some helpful comment or to pop up with some advice, or then amaze us all with a stunning piece of work!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkInfinity View Post
    Happy Mapiversary!!!
    Cheers, DarkInifinity. It's good to see you around on the guild a lot and how you've already been bitten by the mapping bug!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Huh, I also thought GLS had been here much longer... though I've only been here two years myself!

I'm glad you discovered the Guild, and that it's become a bright spot when things are tough. I feel the same. I think of the Guild as one of my 'homes' on the internet. Sometimes I'm too busy to leave comments, when I'd really like to join the discussion, but I always enjoy reading what people have to say and checking out their maps.

It shows what a great community we have when, every once in a while, people spontaneously start a group project. Last year, for the 10th Anniversary, it was Guild World. Right now, we've got Guild City. The way things are going in the world, maybe next year, we can all do Guild Pubs... so that I can drink to forget!!

Finally, all hail Tang, glorious victor of the Coconut Wars of 2016! See, it wasn't all bad last year.
    Haha, yep definitely to all of that! Pubs have got to be a must, then we just need to organise the pub crawl to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more about the Guild, GLS.

Even though I'm still more of a lurker than anything (hell, I don't think I've reached 100 posts yet and I've had an account since 2014), I visit this site multiple times a day and always enjoy the maps and conversations surrounding them. I found this site trying to find an easy guide on how to make a quick map for a setting I was working on... Now almost three years later the setting is dead and buried, as is the map (and thank heavens, it was really terrible), but cartography has become a beloved hobby I enjoy entirely on its own right. And I have the Guild to thank for that.

So, here's for a better year! Lets all have a good one!

All Hail Tang.
    Exactly! I came the Guild aiming to do some D&D maps which I started but now the groups disintegrated will probably never finish. I never expected to stick around longer than to look at a couple of things.

By the way, I do love your maps when they do pop up on here and their darker colours, so hope to see you reaching those 100 posts with some more work, Kelleri!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Congratulations! My first year anniversary join date is in just a few days as well. Since I've joined I've always thought of you as a pal on here. Perhaps because we joined at around the same time. It's been good to get to know you the little bit that I have.

P.S. Awesome snake!!!
    Thanks, Josiah. I've always thought the same too, with us building our first maps at the same time and popping up in the same chats, challenges and what not right at the start!

Hopefully you'll find time to enter some more challenges soon Josiah, though I've been struggling to recently! You definitely deserve more than that one silver compass!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It is often surprising how time flies and also how people seem to have been here longer.
    It's great to have you here GLS And Tang is cute.

ChickPea - You need pubs? You got pubs...
    Check #04
    Thanks, John. It's great to have you here as a CL since I started and always being inspired and in awe of your work. The Guild world last year was really great to be a part of with you at the helm, so it's great that we've got the city this year again, kicked off by Mouse's enthusiasm and really made possible by you and the other CLs.

I'm pleased you like Tang too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Congrats and glad to have you here . You're a (very) active member, and I also would have believed you were a guild member for a longer time.
    And fun picture, that explains your avatar. Now, I'm sad I don't have a salamander companion .
    Thanks, Ilanthar. I try my best to chip in when I can, though often don't have the time I'd like too, especially when there are so many interesting posts to read through.

Yeah, my snake avatar was very much inspired by your little lizard, and I think they were buddies for a short while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast