Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disk World

Map Disk World

Hello All!

I have been lurking around the forums for a years or so now, learning and reading all the wonderful tutorials and tips people have. I started looking into this because I find maps, especially fantasy maps, to be a wonderful art. It took a while before I was willing to post something I have made, but hopefully it looks alright.

Originally, I found the site while looking for a copy of the Discworld map; however, the only version I was able to find, and that most members seemed to have, were those copied from book pages or some attempt at practical mapping. I figured if I wanted the map, then the best approach would be the make it myself. The benefit of making Discworld would be that I would not have to worry about being too creative and I could instead focus on learning the skills I needed to use to complete a map. Thus, the following is a highly derivative "copy" of sorts; however, I hope it can maybe help someone out who may stumble across it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diskworld_map_by_novastar18-dakcd59.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	319.7 KB 
ID:	88335

Blog Entries

Nice map. The other advantage you didnt mention is that you can draw it top down and not have to worry about being a globe either !

Its been a while since I read the books. I thought there was one big mountain in the middle but maybe it was a mountain range instead. Did they have bits of land at the very edge too ? I like A'Tuin and I guess the disk hides the elephants ! I reckon a bit of falling water off of the edge of the disk would have been good as well.

Anyway - well done ! I cant recall the last time seeing discworld done.

Nice! Have some rep for a great map your first time out.

I don't know Discworld at all (I know, boo, hiss) so have to ask about the continent in the northeast: Is it called "xxxx" or is that a forgotten placeholder? I know (I think) the world is a bit tongue-in-cheek so I'm not sure.

Anyway. Great work. Your linework is clear and the colors are vibrant but not over the top. The turtle's a bit flat looking and might benefit from a smidge of shading...but, again, I'm not sure of that franchise's cosmology so don't know if it's supposed to be an actual turtle or is just a iconic thing.

Blog Entries

You might want a quick refresher...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(world)

LOL. Just read it. Not sure I get it. Guess I need to read the books.
    M

@mearrin69 Yup, you should get right on that! I absolutely adore Discworld (though I've heard a few Americans say it must be British humour and they don't get it, so, I dunno )

@nova_cat17 Firstly, welcome to the Guild. Love the map, especially how you've drawn A'tuin. Your colouring is really nice. I think I'd have distorted the shape of the disc ever so slightly, so that it's not a perfect circle with neat edges. A few nicks here and there and some wobbly lines would look better, IMO. I like Redrobes' idea of water cascading over the edges, but that might be a bit tricky to depict!

Have some rep for your first map. Now, are you up for redoing Ankh-Morpork??
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Well, I'm a huge fan of Douglas Adams and a good many British TV/film franchises so I imagine I'd like it well enough. The series is on my list now...not sure why it never made it there before. I guess because it's "fantasy", a genre where I've mostly never ventured beyond the classics.

@redrobes,

Thanks! I wanted to do something with water and the elphants, but I do not think I am at that level yet. My brain can barely handle the 2d-top down stuff at the moment. Another whole dimension would ruin me.

As for the mountains, I did the best I could to match some of the references I had. It too ages to check and recheck all the spellings.

@mearrin69

Thank you! While I have not really read much of the books (my partner loves it) I am fairly sure the continent is actually called XXXX… I still have more readings to do to find out why, if there even is an answer…

I agree that the turtle is too flat. I wanted to add more shadow and texture to the creases, but every time I added or tried to give it more pop, it seemed to make it look less like a turtle. My head may have been in it too much by that point though.

@ChickPea,

Thank you. When I first started the project, I considered giving it more of a "parchment map" look. Remnants of this idea still appear in the textures that I used in early layers; however, I hope to get it printed as a gift for my partner, and the wall it is going on is already tan. Too much tan would not look good, so I went back to very clear lines and the space background. As for the depth, I thought about adding a sort of "fog" effect around the edges to represent the water, but it looks too strange from the top down perspective.

As for Ankh-Morpork, why would I need to redo something that already looks so wonderfully done? That maps is amazing, though it may be fun to touch it up and remove the fold lines

Thanks to all. I have learned and keep learning so much form all the stuff on the forums and in the guild. Its such a great community!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Well, I'm a huge fan of Douglas Adams and a good many British TV/film franchises so I imagine I'd like it well enough. The series is on my list now...not sure why it never made it there before. I guess because it's "fantasy", a genre where I've mostly never ventured beyond the classics.
    Id start at the start with the Colour of Magic and then the Light Fantastic but to be honest, tho they are good, he really got into his stride by Mort and beyond. If you like those kinds of books in general then Pratchett collaborated with Neil Gaiman on "Good Omens" a book so good people have been desperately trying to lobby to get made into a film and we all want the Python director Terry Gilliam to do it. That one is awesome.

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/gofact.htm

IMDB lists it as in development
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1869454/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I would actually get out and suffer a cinema if this were to happen !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast