Thread: Antarctica

Default Antarctica

I've always been interested in Antarctica, the biggest desert on earth and one of the last place that still is a bit unexplored. Yesterday i found a cool website that gives for free a huge package of gis data about antarctica : http://quantarctica.npolar.no/
    A few hours later here's the result, doing a map without forest and rivers was quite unusual. I tried to mix elevation data and ice flow speed to add a little diversity to the topography.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ANTARCTICA.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	91659

Blog Entries

Oh! This is the nicest map of Antarctica I've ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    Oh! This is the nicest map of Antarctica I've ever seen!
    There's not a lot of maps of antarctica i guess it helped, but thanks

I thought I commented on this... Great job, Francissimo. I really like how you incorporated the contour lines, very subtle.

I've never seen such a beautifully detailed map of Antarctica, except in a published atlas.

Its gorgeous

I was only disappointed by one thing - that the Weddell Sea wasn't marked, but that's only because one of my ancestors was the painter, Mary Weddell - a second cousin of his (or something like that)

That is quite a map Francissimo. Well done.

Very nice! I love the snow/ice textures, they're really believable.
    What projection did you use ?
    Also, where is the south ?

Thanks for the comments/rep guys, and sorry i forgot the Wedell Sea, must be fun to know one of your ancestors was a great explorer!
    About the projection, i've used South polar projection (EPSG 3031), and the south pole is where all the longitude lines cross

Quote Originally Posted by Francissimo View Post
    Thanks for the comments/rep guys, and sorry i forgot the Wedell Sea, must be fun to know one of your ancestors was a great explorer!
    About the projection, i've used South polar projection (EPSG 3031), and the south pole is where all the longitude lines cross
    No need to apologise! James Weddell isn't even mentioned in any of the standard historical texts (as far as I know) because he never made land. He was, for most of his professional life, a sealer (someone who hunts and kills seals). Big irony, then, that the Weddell Seal is also named after him!