Thread: The Fintastic Voyage - a.k.a. A Dangerous Plaice

Default The Fintastic Voyage - a.k.a. A Dangerous Plaice

As the world arbitrarily moved towards the end of 2016 and into 2017 the Lite Challenge was chosen: "Map a dangerous place". Unfortunately my pun glands were hyperactive and so I decided that what the challenge actually needed was a plaice. So I set about doing just that, just for giggles at first, but as it went on I became more determined to see this through. The challenges were actually quite taxing, especially as I started by using a mouse. I acquired myself a graphics tablet a week or so after I started and set about learning how to use it. I am still learning

The WIP thread can be found here. The original outline of the plaice was traced over a picture of a plaice I found online. I then did a fair bit of research on the insides of various types of fish and applied some 'artistic licence'. I eventually settled on a blueprint style. I cannot explain the choice of 'submarine' other than it was relatively easy to draw. It was done entirely in GIMP.

What started out as an excuse just to make a load of fish related puns ended up with this, my first finished map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dangerous Plaice-l.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	5.99 MB 
ID:	92100

I believe participating in this challenge helped me upgrade my skills from 'none' to 'a little bit', gave my imagination a nice little workout and most importantly I had a lot of fun. OK drawing the scales individually was a lot of hard work but I was determined to see it through. I'd like to thank Bogie for the inspiration and to apologise for having to endure the puns throughout. I'd also like to thank everyone for encouraging me and helping me to actually finish something

That's a really cool diagram, and you're right, it was a load of fun reading the WIP thread

I think I already repped you for this in the Challenge, but damn - all those scales! I just can't even imagine sitting down to draw each and every one of them by hand!

Perfectly fin-ished

Pretty nice approach to mapping something different. I like it. I second Mouse about those scales... must took loads of time and be a little bit tedious. But that is how you produce good details. Good work Straf.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I cannot explain the choice of 'submarine' other than it was relatively easy to draw.
    One too many episodes of The Magic School Bus? This really is a cool map. Well done. I like the proposed path #6.. ha ha... And you should totally change your avatar to a red chicken with a meat cleaver. Ha, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Perfectly fin-ished
    Well since the best fish pun is already taken, I'll carp out and say Oh my cod this is a fintastic map... alright I'm fin-ished...
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Very funny/original/well done map, Straf ! It's the glorious fish siwmming in the big blue(print) .

Thanks all I forgot to mention I also got a bit of a biology lesson as well

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

hum, I don't want to split hairs but I think that scale #3658412 is'nt realistic

I was wondering if anyone would notice

It was a lot of fun to see develop and the result is a good one. It may have started as a joke but ended up a worthy entry for the challenge. Keep 'em coming !