Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Time to flee Skaro

Blog Entries

Some tokens...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheFourthDoctor.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	8679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Romana.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	8680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K9.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	8681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tardis.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	8682  

Blog Entries

and beasties...

Name:	Dalek1.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	473.9 KB 
ID:	8683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dalek2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	8684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dalek3.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	370.1 KB 
ID:	8685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Davros.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	532.8 KB 
ID:	8686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyberman1.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	8687  

Wow.. you even included a Cyberman! hmmm I seem to remember one where there were both in the same serial....wasn't that around the 3rd doctors time frame?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

They were together in one of the last season's episodes about the rift. The Cybermen didn't stand a chance.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    They were together in one of the last season's episodes about the rift. The Cybermen didn't stand a chance.
    Yea... but I thought there was one back in the old days...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Wow.. you even included a Cyberman! hmmm I seem to remember one where there were both in the same serial....wasn't that around the 3rd doctors time frame?
    I sneaked a digi photo of a model in a shop - I am a bit cheeky like that I dont know about Dalek and Cybermen in same episode other than the more recent 2005 ones. You are probably right but Pertwee was just before my time. I only remember just the odd pertwee ep like Sea Devils and maybe one or two more scenes and images. I have seen a few more since on DVDs but they look sooo dated now. I will check tomorrow when I'm meeting a extreme nut job on Dr Who in the shape of my bro. Most of what I know is either from memory or from factual osmosis from him.

Would make a good iron golem too

Name:	CybermanFront.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	8727  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-26-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I sneaked a digi photo of a model in a shop - I am a bit cheeky like that I dont know about Dalek and Cybermen in same episode other than the more recent 2005 ones. You are probably right but Pertwee was just before my time. I only remember just the odd pertwee ep like Sea Devils and maybe one or two more scenes and images. I have seen a few more since on DVDs but they look sooo dated now. I will check tomorrow when I'm meeting a extreme nut job on Dr Who in the shape of my bro. Most of what I know is either from memory or from factual osmosis from him.

Would make a good iron golem too
    Well.. when I was growing up, they would play Dr Who on PBS over here in the states, so that's how I got to see so many of them. Usually, they would show a whole serial on Saturday's, so I would get to see one entire storyline a week. I think I have seem most of the 3rd, 4th, 5th Doctor's episodes, a probably 1/3 of the 6th,a bare few of the 7th, a tiny few of the 1st and 2nd. It's still hard to believe some idiots got rid of so many episodes of such a great show....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

My assistant ran away again!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Guild Member

(hey guys, I'm trying a new way of leaving comments to provide better feedback... let me know what you think)

I always enjoy how you're able to capture the action of a story in a map Redrobes. I feel like regardless of your artistic ability, you can always bring a map to life. That being said, I still find some things... distracting. Most notably are the walls, which look like they've taken a few blur effects over the recommend dosage (no doctor pun intended). Instead of looking like cave walls, they look like objects in the way of my viewing because it appears as a depth-of-field effect. It's emphasized further when it overlaps objects, like the legs of the machine. Also, the scene feels a bit disproportionate; my eye gravitates to the bottom right instead of flowing with action.

I know, a bit nit-picky, but I feel like you're skilled enough to handle some high-level criticism

TECHNIQUE: ****
    STYLE: ****
    ORIGINALITY: ***** (woot for a doctor who theme!)

OVERALL: ****½

Recommendations:
    1) Clean up the walls... clean up the definition, maybe cast some shadows on the scenery to add realism... It looks like you've spend a lot of time on the characters, so take a moment to devote some work to the environment so they don't appear out of place.
    2) Balance the map. Create motion between the characters so the viewer's eye isn't stationary. The laser from K9 feels like a good start, moving the center to the bottom right but it kind of dies there. Find a way to connect the end of the right tunnel to the end of the left tunnel (the "special" darleks help, but aren't enough) and then connect the left tunnel back to the Doctor's area (perhaps a bit of return fire?)

Overall an excellent map really showing off your myriad of skills from modeling to composition to story-telling. Minor flaws are preventing a perfect rating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast