Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alvae Astrolabe of Wyvlir Seren (Easteorra map/illustration)

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Alvae Astrolabe of Wyvlir Seren (Easteorra map/illustration)

User Cannonmagnet has brought a nice tool called Tinkercad to my attention which I've found to be immensely useful with regards to perspective and the creation of basic shapes to establish a visual layout.

I think I mentioned that I had a number of ideas for further maps in the Easteorra setting, and rather than to go for something huge again I've chosen to try and create a small locale instead: the Alvae astrolabe at Wyvlir Seren.

The model was created in Tinkercad (it was my first model done in the program), then exported as an .obj to Photoshop. Right now I'm in the process of doing the lineart, shading and coloration will follow suit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alvae Astrolabe.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	92426

It's looking good, Wired!

Thank you, Ilanthar!

Just a quick update. Didn't get to much done these past day.

Name:	Alvae Astrolabe Preview1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	92605

### Latest WIP ###

The first rounds of coloring and shading are done, and I've started adding some subtle lines laid over the 3d model. I'm really positively surprised at the amount of detail and emphasis just a few steps can add to this type of piece. The 3d model is a solid base, but I genuinely like what one can build upon that base.

Major steps that need to be done now are layers for high contrast light and shadow, additional color, and adding a few more details around the abandoned/ruined complex.

Name:	Alvae Astrolabe Preview2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	421.8 KB 
ID:	92622

Very nice layout Sebastian ! I look forward to the next steps and that's one more projects that makes me want to learn how to use a 3D software.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Very nice layout Sebastian ! I look forward to the next steps and that's one more projects that makes me want to learn how to use a 3D software.
    Hey Thomas, the program I did this in -- Tinkercad -- is a free online tool with absolutely zero learning curve involved. The astrolabe above was my very first object I built with the program *cough*at work *cough*. I found it immensely helpful with regards to the general composition and perspective of an image. Just try it out.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I think you found a very good way to insert you 3D design in your own drawing

Thanks a lot for the tip Sebastian, I'll give it a go. For a first try, you did pretty good !

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Thanks a lot for the tip Sebastian, I'll give it a go. For a first try, you did pretty good !
    Thank you, Thomas. It doesn't have the full functionality of "real" 3d programs like Blender (which I'm a total beginner at), but for creating basic shapes in the correct perspective it's great.

Okay, a small update here, though not with regards to the Astrolabe itself, but rather in relation to Tinkdercad. Should you create models in the program and want to export them to Photoshop or Blender, do yourself a favor and export it as an .STL file rather than an .OBJ. You get far better defined and clearer features with the former than with the latter. I've been doodling on a space station model and found that out by chance when I tried to present my WIP at another forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast