Thread: Free City of Corvalin

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Default Free City of Corvalin

Hi everyone,

This is a city I've been working on for a while now that I finally decided is complete. It's done in a sort of Gothic style. I hope you all enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Free City of Corvalin.PNG 
Views:	340 
Size:	8.35 MB 
ID:	92458  

That looks terrific, Tonnichiwa

The only thing I'm not liking all that much is the shadow on the text, but that's only a matter of taste

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I love the detail of the city, but the plain and slightly blurred coastline lets it down. It would be nice to see a more fractal or at least ink-lined coast.

Hmm, Thanks for the advice Robuluos. Maybe I'm not as done with this as I thought I was. I'll have to work on it some more

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Sorry, some more thoughts while I'm raining on your parade!

Westgate doesn't have any gates! And how do people move around the city without bridges? Where are the entrances/exits of the city? I'm assuming the other two parts of the city are protected by natural barriers but there are two approaches to Highland that would be ideal for roads/gatehouses.

Also there's something very wrong with the shadows which have light sources all over the place. Just for starters, Westgate and the Naval Academy islands have a light source from the southwest (I assume the compass rose is pointing North, it doesn't say), while the towers of Castle Corvalin have shadows pointing in two different directions. The buildings have light from generally all over the place. Given that Castle Corvalin is lit from the southeast and it's the biggest feature, I'd say stick with that - ie have your shadows slanting to the top left.

This looks amazing, love your style here, I agree with the other first two things that bother me were the coastline and the shadowed type (I'll sometime do a stroke and then an outer glow, of the same stroke color to help it stand out better), but other than that this is a beauty and so very rep worthy, Great JOB!!!

Thanks for the comments guys. This map was actually anexperiment with the Mike Schley overland gothic city style. It is made using the city and buildings that came with the overland style. The CC3+ program lets you reverse the icons so that it adds a little more variety to the map. Sadly, some of those icons have the shadows drawn right onto it as part of the icon. And when the icon is reversed, the shadows get reversed as well. Unfortunately, the only way I can fix the shadows is to make a new icon by exporting the old one to a program like gimp or photoshop, remove the shadow, then import the icon back to cc3+. For this map, that would be quite a chore considering the amount of icons used. I will have to wait for another map in this style to do that.