Thread: Random catacombs -- maybe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    What is the rule set you are using?
    It's a bit ugly, since I was just playing around adding and tweaking rules to see what happened, and I'm not entirely happy with the results yet, but that one was drawn with:

Code:
    Axiom: F

Production rules:
      F -> (probability 1/2) F R
           (probability 1/8) F [ - F R ] F
           (probability 1/8) F [ + F R ] F
           (probability 1/8) F [ - F R ] [ + F R ]
           (probability 1/8) F [ - F R ] [ + F R ] F

R -> (probability 1/2) F F
           (probability 1/2) F [ room ]
    I didn't know about the GIMP plugin; got a link?

My program processes data defined in configuration files which let you define the axiom and production rules, specify whether the system is deterministic or random, define the step distance and turn angle (as functions, so they can be variable), define new symbols and functions to be called when they're parsed (like "room" above, which draws a room at the current position), specify line width and image size, and so on. It outputs PostScript, but since it's written in Lisp it should be fairly easy to convert to GIMP Scheme if I decide to -- I just need to get it producing better results
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Here's another, which I think is a little better (didn't bother with the parchment this time) -- it uses a simpler rule-set, has slightly bigger rooms, and might be more like what we'd want from a random dungeon map.

One of the things I like about these maps is that I'm randomly perturbing the L-system's angles and distances, so you don't get perfect right angles; it makes the corridors look more like ones in real catacomb maps, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	8482  
    Last edited by isomage; 12-15-2008 at 08:36 PM.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/