Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castitia

Many great ideas in here and a wonderful palette. Definitely rep worthy especially knowing you went out of your comfort zone.

Guild Expert

I would have never thought to use these colours, but they work beautifully together.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Some good stuff here.

Things I like:
    • Sea color: not something I would normally think of, but honestly, this is a great job! I love this color combination and will consider this if I ever get some time to map again!
    • hills
    • Mountain
    • great color gradation as the map draws near to the dryer lands.
    • the rivers or more specifically the land surrounding them. It's very rare to see a hand drawn map with indication of more lush terrain close to rivers and this was an unexpected surprise. I hope to see more of this in the future from others( and one I need to start thinking of because I never really came to my mind)
    • city/town icons(but see below)
    • crest and compass
    • overall color scheme
    • the hills and forests really intersect very well and the few example hills surrounding by forest canopy works very well!
    • Border is quite cool

Things I would liked to have seen different:
    • I don't know the word, but the forest "noise". ie, the squiggle lines used to give the forest it's definition. It's fine at small scale, but zoomed in the repeated nature gets a bit distracting. For the record, I suck at this also and have not figured out a good style to represent 3rd person forest groups well either. I know this is difficult because individual trees take for ever AND look look too busy in large numbers, while getting the right look for "clump forests" is super hard to do well.
    • dark blue river, someone else mentioned this also
    • there are some inconsistencies(to my eye anyway!). The biggest example is comparing the two cities on Othlo Isles. The top one is flat while the bottom one is much more 3rd person/3 dimensional.
    • There so very noticeable banding in the forest coloration, especially when zoomed out

All in all, great job... it made me go check some of your other maps and definately found a few I liked.
    Thank you for the praise and the constructive criticism. And I agree, forests are something that are an eternal WIP for me. As for the cities, some are indeed less flat than others. As for the forest coloration, I'm not sure from whom I've got this -- maybe torstan? -- but the banded shading/lighting is supposed to establish a sense of depth.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Many great ideas in here and a wonderful palette. Definitely rep worthy especially knowing you went out of your comfort zone.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I would have never thought to use these colours, but they work beautifully together.
    Neither would I. Chashio did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12