Thread: [WIP] Sévoust (commission)

Default [WIP] Sévoust (commission)

Hello folks, I'm gonna post the work in progress of my latest commission, a map for an rpg campaign.
    The style requested is is similar to my other map Teris , with no labels.
    I will draw the country of Sévoust, placed in a fantasy world in the aftermath of an armageddon (giant demons, metal falling from the sky and other funny stuff).
    A futuristic civilization that built cities nearly covering the planet and expanded into the depths of space has fallen, their skyscrapers and cities crumbled into dust.

I'm already at good point, so I will recap quickly the process

Here's the reference for the map shape:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sevoust.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	960.3 KB 
ID:	92536

Here's some sketch of the natural conformation according to customer's choice.

Name:	sevoust_01.PNG 
Views:	53 
Size:	442.6 KB 
ID:	92537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sevoust_01B.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	420.3 KB 
ID:	92538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sevoust_02.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	92539

Here I started the proper linework, I set a color mood (that I will eventually change) and reworked the coastlines.

Name:	Sevoust_04.PNG 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	92540

Next time you will see a bit more forests, hills and craters

Fun and interesting to see the different steps. And now, I'm waiting for the craters .

Thanks Ilanthar here's the latest draft, I changed the colors more toward a warm feel, and in the middle you can see some experiments on craters, ruins and other lineart.

Name:	Sevoust_05B.PNG 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	92617

I find it quite fascinating that your maps change colour quite drastically from one WIP to the next in the early stages - just like mine do

I can't really see the detail all that well, though. Its a little on the small side for that, but please just ignore my winging about the size if you are limited by the conditions of the commission in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I find it quite fascinating that your maps change colour quite drastically from one WIP to the next in the early stages - just like mine do
    I like to experiment before find the right palette, but in this case I've just find out that the country has a warm climate, I was thought the opposite
    I know that details are barely visible, I'm sorry it's a low res png screenshoot, by the way the size requested is 8x12 inches.
    When I will draw more details I will post a bigger version!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Great start and a beautiful choice of colors, Tom. I think this will be a real beauty in the end. The craters look pretty flat right now but, like with the mountains, this is just a matter of some proper shading. Is this all hand-drawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    Great start and a beautiful choice of colors, Tom. I think this will be a real beauty in the end. The craters look pretty flat right now but, like with the mountains, this is just a matter of some proper shading. Is this all hand-drawn?
    Thanks Rongar! yes is all hand drawn

I applied shadow/highlight on major features (mountains, hills, forests) and adjusted the color again.

Name:	Sevoust_06.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	92658

Now I have to draw the "wasteland", a mix between craters, flat land, ruins and metal heaps lefted by the demon rain... I like how the craters are coming out, but I need to rework the ruins a little bigger. Don't ask me about metal heaps, because I don't know

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

*grinds teeth in envy*

That... is cool. I love your lineart and awesome color/transitions. Dang, I need to find more time to practice my drawing...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    *grinds teeth in envy*

That... is cool. I love your lineart and awesome color/transitions. Dang, I need to find more time to practice my drawing...
    Thanks Diamond! lol, please don't, your map are enough cool the way they are!

Here another update, I added a lot of ruins (still unsure about their brightness) and few more craters, the waves along the coastline, and an almost done banner!

Name:	Sevoust_07.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	92695

Enjoy!

Tom

WOW ! You gotta tell us how you get those craters shaded. That's amazing !