Thread: [WIP] Unnamed Continent - Commission

Guild Member Facebook Connected woodb3kmaster's Avatar

Wip [WIP] Unnamed Continent - Commission

As my first-ever commission, I have been tasked with mapping a continent in the same style as my Askath continental topographical maps. I don't have much else in the way of guidelines, besides a choice of starting continent shapes. Having picked one and generated its terrain, here's the first draft of the map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	commission01-sizeman21-wip01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	90902

There's obviously still plenty left to do - lat/long lines, labels, and a legend with the continent's name all come to mind. As I've never done a map on commission before, any C&C that those of you who have experience with commissions can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Congratz on your first commision. Since i also have had one commission there isn't much i can tell you .
    I like the map though, it already look very nice. The hard edge sea gradient is something i would change maybe (if its done). But if client wants it this way, then of course, in commission you do what client wants

Guild Member Facebook Connected woodb3kmaster's Avatar

Thanks, Voolf! It isn't exactly meant to be a gradient; in my earlier maps in this style, I simply went with outlines as a placeholder until I figure out the real seafloor contours, and the client asked me to use the same style. If he wants me to work out the sea contours, I'd be happy to.

Meanwhile, I've been in touch with the client, and based on some feedback, I've produced a new WIP:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	commission01-sizeman21-wip02.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	718.5 KB 
ID:	92678

The different-colored area in the southeast is meant to be a desert, as per the client's request. I'm not completely satisfied with the effect; I may need to do something more than a simple hue/saturation shift to better suggest the area's dryness. In any event, unless I need to make further changes to anything, it's just about time to start labeling things.