Thread: First Map: Continent of Dwendelen

Wip First Map: Continent of Dwendelen

Here is my first mapping attempt using RobA's regional tutorial with the addition of DanChops's forest method.

Created in GIMP with several hours hard work. I am still not happy with the forests, but it is WIP.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwendelen.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	8688

Post Forest edge too smooth

Your forest shape matches the coastline too much. I would create your forest outer edge as a very rough shape, generally following current forest but much more jagged. Also consider cutting out the forest around the roads and around your structures in the woods.

Just some suggestions.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The execution of the tut looks pretty good so I'd say you pass there. Now ya gotta take it a step further...the coastline is too regular so break it up and make it more jagged (same with the forest). Then the hard part is finding your own unique style, which takes some time to develop. So do as many maps like this as you need and slightly change things as ya go. So far so good, so keep going
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    the hard part is finding your own unique style, which takes some time to develop.
    No kidding. On my first post, my style was immediately recognized. Lol. I'm trying something new now, but it's slow going.

If it's a good-looking style; why not use it? You'll eventually find some things that are uniquely yours to hang onto. Until then, keep picking up techniques and adding them to what you've already got. Eventually you'll start inventing your own, and what started as recognizably RobA or Butch Curry or Ascension will turn into distinctly you.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Wip

Here is another variation on the forest, this time with the rivers cut out and the area around the towns cut out (Foreston not as much, due to its history. You can guess by the name.) I made the forest less regular, but have not worked on the coasts yet.

This was actually a commissioned piece. I had told the DM of my campaign that I would like to try to get a better version of the sketch that he had, so the original sketch is not mine. He was quite pleased with the first draft though, so I guess I did well there...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dwendelen(redone forest).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	8734
    Last edited by Volsung; 12-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like the forest a lot better now. The irregularity of the forest along with the texture are good. I might have to ste....borrow that later.

As for style, style relies on the technique that you use, and these techniques get refined as you use them and choose ones that you like the best. Your own style will start to show once you have modified your initial techniques and learn other methods and made them your own.

Personally I think you are starting to show already.