Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kingdom of Ushan (Unfinished Commission)

Map The Kingdom of Ushan (Unfinished Commission)

This was a private commission I completed last fall. My client had requested only the naked terrain of the map since he planned to fill in the labels himself at a latter point. However, not satisfied with what looked to me like an unfinished piece I endeavored to go ahead and add hand drawn elements and label the piece after the project was completed. I got as far as the castle and tower before my tablet died on me, the birth of my second child and relocating not once but twice within the span of a few months time. Now I'm in the middle of several home-improvement projects and a couple of commissions and don't see myself finishing this piece any time soon. So I'm going to go ahead and post this "as-is". If I ever do get around to finishing it I'll post the finished product somewhere in this thread.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Kingdom of Ushan Unfinished.png 
Views:	475 
Size:	9.23 MB 
ID:	92990  
    Last edited by arsheesh; 02-26-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Its very late in the UK right now, so the artistic nonsense side of my brain is in control. The other side is already out for the count, but... I adore the curly-tentacled nature of the water. It looks so much like an extension of the octopus - alive as it explores the land with its feelers...

Even if this crazy illusion is lost on everyone else, its a beautiful map - finished or not

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Such a shame this remains unfinished,
    really impressive! Especially love the clean, semirealistic but drawn style!
    However, the map just looks plain empty as is

This is very aesthetic and beautiful map. If you havent said it, i would not even know that this is incomplete. Thank you for uploading this one. Definately an inspirational piece.

Very nice map arsheesh, even if it's unfinished! Reminds me that we see way to little of your maps!

A gorgeous piece, very lively ! I agree with Mouse analysis of the water, it's disturbing how moving it looks The simple linework is deceiving in regards of the realistic landscape, I really like that contrast. Great work and glad to see you back (you had really good reason to abandon us, you're forgiven )

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its very late in the UK right now, so the artistic nonsense side of my brain is in control. The other side is already out for the count, but... I adore the curly-tentacled nature of the water. It looks so much like an extension of the octopus - alive as it explores the land with its feelers...

Even if this crazy illusion is lost on everyone else, its a beautiful map - finished or not
    Thank you Mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Teferi View Post
    Such a shame this remains unfinished,
    really impressive! Especially love the clean, semirealistic but drawn style!
    However, the map just looks plain empty as is
    Thanks Teferi, and I completely agree. Ideally I would have liked to fill out the map with a bunch more geographic points of interest, along with their corresponding labels. Ah well, the best laid plans aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    This is very aesthetic and beautiful map. If you havent said it, i would not even know that this is incomplete. Thank you for uploading this one. Definately an inspirational piece.
    Well thank you kindly Voolf. I'm glad that despite it's unfinished nature you still enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Very nice map arsheesh, even if it's unfinished! Reminds me that we see way to little of your maps!
    Very kind of you to day Daniel. I'm hoping that later on in the year I'll have more time again to devote to mapping (beyond just the odd commission here or there).

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    A gorgeous piece, very lively ! I agree with Mouse analysis of the water, it's disturbing how moving it looks The simple linework is deceiving in regards of the realistic landscape, I really like that contrast. Great work and glad to see you back (you had really good reason to abandon us, you're forgiven )
    I'm glad you like it Thomrey, and it's nice to be back as well.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

You sure have some drawing skills! This castle is incredibly detailed yet simple, very nice job. The "water drape" looks great too.

Beautiful! I really love those forests and grassy hills. Your caroony style is wonderful.
    To me the water somehow looks like it's above the land... only sometimes though.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Splendid! You have a knack for drawing octopus and krakens. I'm also in love with those faeric cities!
    Sure, it looks a bit empty, but what you have is really gorgeous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast