Thread: [Award Winner] How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Granfalloon View Post
    I dunno man, I admit they ain't perfect, but I was able to whip out a few mountains wicked fast. Of course, a whole mountain chain is gonna take quite a bit longer...

Thanks for the tutorial. I just found this place the other day, and I'm digging it.
    Thanks! I am glad you like my tutorial as well as the Guild and hope you stick around and participate a long time. Please remember to rate every tutorial thread you use with 1 to 5 stars so a) new people have an idea of what others think about how well written a tutorial is(rating only shows after 5 people have rated it) and b) the author gets recognition if he can get a 5 start rating(of course, please rate the tuts as you see them!)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Tutorial ISO Mountain Tutorial as a PDF Document

Hello, All.

For anyone who is interested, here is Mr. Frazier's excellent ISO Mountain tutorial as a PDF document.

Regards,

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP-PS using the Smudge Tool.pdf 
Views:	1488 
Size:	913.6 KB 
ID:	9992
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Thanks Gary! I had meant to get around to this.. but sadly, time is sparse right now..
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

I hate to necro a thread but this type of mountain looks interesting. I do have some questions for the author:

1) Is this something you setup prior to mapping (a la CC3) or,

2) something you add to an already existing map?

3) Can you make this a pattern somehow to utilize LIKE CC3 in order to cut down the time involved in placing the mountains (such as using the stamp tool)?

I am not one for taking shortcuts but my map is really big and it would be a big help if I could cut down the time even a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by voidgere View Post
    I hate to necro a thread but this type of mountain looks interesting. I do have some questions for the author:

1) Is this something you setup prior to mapping (a la CC3) or,

2) something you add to an already existing map?

3) Can you make this a pattern somehow to utilize LIKE CC3 in order to cut down the time involved in placing the mountains (such as using the stamp tool)?

I am not one for taking shortcuts but my map is really big and it would be a big help if I could cut down the time even a little bit.
    I did create a few (3) mountains in several shades around the beginning of the year. here.

I also started (and mostly completed but not totally) a map using this technique here. Eventually, when my life calms down, I hope to get back to both.

Note that in my case, I prefer to full hand draw each and every individual mountain and hill( akes quite a long time) but made up a few symbols for others to use in case they prefer things like CC, fractal mapper, etc.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials: