Thread: Two Maps for the Republic of Dionysos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Praise I am impressed!

Hello, Ruedy.

Hooo, Boy! Have I got a lot to learn.

First, I am really impressed with these two maps. They are beautiful and very well done. Congratulations on your excellent work.

Now, if I may, some questions.

1) How did you get such great topology drawn on your map? I'm very impressed with your terrain details -- plains, highland, mountains, waterways, etc. -- and am very interested in how you get such beautiful terrain onto paper?

2) Did you use your height field map (relief map) as the basis for then "painting" the terrain?

3) Any input, tutorials or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Ruedy, these are excellent maps and you should be quite proud of them.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    1) How did you get such great topology drawn on your map? I'm very impressed with your terrain details -- plains, highland, mountains, waterways, etc. -- and am very interested in how you get such beautiful terrain onto paper?

2) Did you use your height field map (relief map) as the basis for then "painting" the terrain?
    Hi Vandy,
    first I create a black/white heightmap, use the blur and export it into Wilbur. At Wilbur I use the filters for more Details, it's a lot of trial and error. ;-)
    After that, I export it back to PS or Gimp and create the landscape with textures in a layer under the relief.

3) Any input, tutorials or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    I will try to write a tutorial for the guild with a friends help, who can articulate english better than me. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    These are very nice. The largest compliment I can give is...I have to learn how to do this
    Thanks. :-)