Thread: Introducing Kimarnock's Ruhba -- Vandy's first CG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have to say that I really like this bit of coastline, but I fully understand the difficulty in getting a new map "off the ground," so to speak. Especially city maps--they tend to be much more difficult for me than regional or world-scale maps.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo, if I had this as SimCity map, I'd spend all of my money building bridges...for some reason some sick part of me always wants to build bridges. Nice map and I think it could certainly be developed into a town, but as previously stated, all of those buildings can get tiresome. Put it into Sim and play it for a while then screenshot it and call it done
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

If I were tackling this then I would use my trusty ole do some contours and get the relief in then deal with the height map. This post shows it best at #9 and #10.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1273

Since you have the base contour done in the first post and now you have the color texture map to lay on top I think that your about 80% there if you wanted to go down this road.

If you need something to display it in 3D then I can give you this free. You just save two bitmaps of the same size, a 'color.bmp' and a 'height.bmp' in the same directory as the app and run it. You might find that this will be able to put your terraformer bump map and color map together too. If you have any trouble then post the height map and ill show you.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-05-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Wip Kimarnock's Ruhba lives on!

PERSONAL REPLIES

==============================================

Midgardsormr - Thanks for your comments on the coastline of Kimarnock's Ruhba. I do enjoy hand-creating maps. I have come to realization that starting off attempting to create a city map has been a bit more than I thought it would be. However, I am not going to quit on this -- rather, I shall finish the map.

Ascension - Well, "stick around" because I plan on releasing Kimarnock's Ruhba as a SimCity 4 map once I've finished rendering it.

Redrobes - First of all, thank you so very much for your kind words and wonderful advice. I have saved out your references and certainly will use them in future projects. Thanks as well for your ViewingDale references. I've played a bit with the referenced utilities. They are pretty cool.

==============================================

UPDATE

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, Folks, I want to let you know that for better or for worse, in sickness and in health....

< shuffle, shuffle >

Oh, CRAP! Wrong speech...

Seriously, though, I do want to let you know that I am not giving up on this map. I intend to "see it through" to a completed city map and we'll see how it goes. As a first project, I'll try and make all my "mistakes" on it and learn from them.

I have completed my land elevations and water levels and have posted my progress to date. My next step is to start laying down roads and building city walls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kilmarnock's Ruhba - Land & Water Completed 08-JAN-09.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	9003

As always, your comments and critiques are always welcome.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980