Thread: Ziadon (City Designer 3)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Gandwarf, I'm curious about what you were doing with the Sirilion map that was cleaning up the edges so well, but was so tedious that you gave up part way through. I wonder if someone else might have a suggestion that would speed up that process for you, or even automate it.
    The Sirilion map is larger than the Ziadon map. It's a beast and CC3 crashes all the time when I try to move around or zoom in. It's also REALLY slow. It takes about 15 seconds to load all the effects. I have to move around and zoom in to make dozens of screenshots and then paste them all together in Paint Shop Pro. It's almost impossible for me to paste them spot on and a few pixels difference can have some very undesirable effects because roads don't meet. Often I will only notice this when I have pasted some screenshots together and then have to redo some parts. Very tedious.

I read some other workarounds for the CC3 crashing problem on the Profantasy forums. Like creating a PDF. I will have to try that some time. Any other tips are certainly welcome
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Also I am starting to realise I need to learn how to do a good border. And I need shields or heraldry for the larger cities (the wizard houses).

I suck at creating that kind of stuff though
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Well, I just recently made a handful of charges in Illustrator. There's a bull passant, a hawk, an eagle displayed, a lion rampant, and a tree eradicated at the end of this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=3627&page=3

They're all in simple black-and-white, so they can be recolored however you like, and they're relatively high resolution transparent PNGs.

Do you subscribe to the ProFantasy Annual? I seem to recall that there was an issue this year on heraldry in CC3.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Well, I just recently made a handful of charges in Illustrator. There's a bull passant, a hawk, an eagle displayed, a lion rampant, and a tree eradicated at the end of this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=3627&page=3

They're all in simple black-and-white, so they can be recolored however you like, and they're relatively high resolution transparent PNGs.

Do you subscribe to the ProFantasy Annual? I seem to recall that there was an issue this year on heraldry in CC3.
    Thanks Midgardsormr. I noticed them not long after you posted them. Most are not usable to be me. My world does not contain lions or eagles for example. Also I am thinking of something more like the heraldry on this map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...highlight=logo

Unfortunately something like that is far above my skills. I like CC3 because it does most of the work for me. I just throw stuff together and in the end it actually looks quite decent (I do get jealous when I see what people can do entirely by hand).

I do not subscribe to the ProFantasy Annual. Only some editions seemed valuable to me and I dislike the fact you can't order them separately.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-19-2008 at 12:31 PM.