Thread: World Map Commission - Balia (Fantasy Novel)

Default World Map Commission - Balia (Fantasy Novel)

Introduction/Background
    Hi. I'm new to this forum, though I have in the not too distant past scoped this place out just in preparation for a time like this. I have no background in cartography and I'm far from an artist in any sense, hence why I'm here today requesting if someone please could help me in a bit of mapmaking.

The work would go towards a fantasy setting called Balia and a currently underworks novel series, of which I have just completed a first draft for the first novel. Unfortunately the series is under a working title only, which I'm much too embarrassed to reveal here. I currently have no online repository for the worldbuilding project I have engaged in, or regarding the story, as it is all on my personal hard drive.

But a quick sum up for the setting is that it is essentially a mix and mash of Roman and Dark Age by technological age, with the main frame of the story being loosely adapted from the real historical event of the civil war that occurred between the sons and male relatives of Constantine the Great following his death, with a dash of religious extremism in there too (think Middle-East right now). If more details are required, happy to provide these.

Description & Design of Maps

Regarding the map, I would ideally be looking for a single comprehensive world map of Balia but understand that the scope of work would naturally require more remuneration on my part, hence if it would look like stretching my budget too far, I would like to then concentrate on a single aspect of the raw maps I have been working with for some time now. I have provided shots of what I have been working with until now as follows:

https://postimg.org/gallery/ki59jh4k/

The one I would like to concentrate would be the largest landmass, named 'Mainland', as that is where the storyline is based, if a world map is out of the question. What I would be specifically looking for in terms of detail would be having rivers, mountains and other terrain/landscape aspects featured on the map. I have in the past attempted to produce such myself with the raw maps shown above, but the work was shoddy.

I have done quite a bit of worldbuilding for Balia, so the major aspects of terrain are locked in (e.g. Most of the Southwestern region of the large continent of Mainland is desert). However, as I am still writing the series, I would welcome the creativity and inspiration of the cartographer in question when designing the map. What I mean is I have no particular preference of where a certain mountain range may be, a river there or a lake here as long as major aspects remain and some geographical consistency is adhered to. The reason for the map is really to have access to quick and detailed enough terrain and landscape references so as to enrich the story/give myself better bearings, especially when it comes to locating settlements and other such.

With the style of map I'm open, but I guess a simple design leaning towards what you tend to see in fantasy is what I'd be looking for.

Apologies if the description here is a bit confusing, as I'm new to this and not very knowledgeable about designing maps and such. Any additional information required I would be more than happy to supply it as is needed.

Technical
    JPG, PNG, Tiff should be fine, but happy to hear suggestions.
    I believe from the perspective of budget and as for the time being I still intend this for personal use I would be looking for a greyscale map. However if my required specifications for the project might not be ideal in this regard, happy to consult again.

Resolution
    Not certain about this category hence open to suggestions/receive consultation regarding what's best for my requirements.

Copyright
    Again this is an area I'm not sure of. At the moment I'm only looking to utilise the map for personal use hence would require within this scope to do simple edits on the map.
    However, I would envisage having a version of it, likely in colour, go along with any work I intend to publish in the future. Hence again this is an area I would wish to consult the artist in question, or like to hear advice as to how to proceed forward. Would likely be happy for it to remain with the cartographer for the time being, until this became more imminent however.

Deadline
    Fairly flexible. I intend to begin with the redrafting the first novel, so would wish the map to be ready by early on in this process as I will need to consult it. This would be about in a month or two.

Design Process
    I think a few interim updates as to the process and direction of the work would be welcomed.

Payment
    Would require quotes. I am more than happy to pay a good price for good work, though my budget is still limited. Likewise its current use would only be personal hence at this point my desire for a greyscale map. I think moving well above $200 in remuneration for this work would begin to stretch my budget as a ball park figure here.

Contact
    I'm happy to talk through here but would be more responsive via my email: itaekha @ hotmail.co.uk. Moving forward also happy to discuss over the phone (depending on location/charges with this) or over social media.
    Last edited by Mithras; 03-14-2017 at 03:17 PM.

I sent you an email.

Hi, I've now got someone commissioned for the work. Sorry, I'm not sure how I could change the thread to 'Paid-Taken'.

But thanks everybody for your responses. Really appreciated it!