Thread: The Black Marches (Commission)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Map The Black Marches (Commission)

Recently, I was hired by TrueUndeadHero from the Guild to make a map of his underdark world consisting of twelve city states - which together make up the Black Marches.

There may possibly be a colour version at some point, but otherwise for the time being we chose to go with a more sepia, parchment look.

It's a slightly different style to many of my pieces, not least of which because I've not done a proper underdark map before. Anywho, I won't say much more, here it is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Black Marches Sig.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	4.42 MB 
ID:	94072

Feedback, as always, is more welcome!

*UPDATED* Also, for those interested, here's some of the lore THU wrote for the world:

Eons ago, a single tree existed in a vast nothingness. A writhing mass of fungus and living tissue, this tree drew strength and power through another world called The Void. One day, the Void began eminienting voices of other beings and the tree grew fearful, withdrawing its roots from it. The roots, unable to grow out, began to encircle the tree itself. Entangling themselves, the roots formed a new world. The thick roots became hard as stone, and the world became barren and lifeless. The Four Great Gods arrived.

Kyrenthea, the Great Mother, moved the ash clouds to reveal a pure black sky which she filled with stars. As she made them, one became greedy and began devouring other stars. Kyrenthea noticed this and tried to stop this, but soon the star became too bright for even her to withstand. Blinded, she was driven by the light into the underground where she remained. It was here Kyrenthea molded the first Drow from the black ashen earth and her tears of the stars betrayal. Eventually though, the Gods (including her) grew weak from their creation and returned to wence they had came, and the Drow grew empty and lost.

Era, the Great Tree of the World, felt their loss and used its lullying song to draw the Drow to its roots and began the construction of the First City. Era’s song lead the Drow to construct other cities, forming the Taranossian Empire under the Great Cities of Ilarnoamuth and Szith Krassien.

These cities eventually formed the first roads between each other, but were met with the horrors that the underground had hidden from them. Trade became increasingly difficult, and some cases nearly impossible as soldiers were forced to become protectors for simple merchants. Angered after centuries of progress to suddenly be halted, Ilarnoamuth arranged a military alliance with Szith Krassien and began military expeditions into the Deep Roads to massacre the beasts and monsters that plagued them. An immense victory under the female soldiers and generals, the Taranossian Empire began an unrivaled expansion.

This era of expansion saw the greatest changes in the empire and to Drow culture in general. With the victory fresh in many peoples minds, the empire began to focus more on brutalist tactics and military superiority. This mindset allowed females to rise into powerful positions and the creation of slavery for lesser beings. Slavery was, at first, a minor idea that wasn’t really practiced until the brief conflict with the dwindling Duergar Empire, which lead to the devastation to many of their cities with exception to Kraggarenn. Those who weren’t killed outright, were eventually sent back to Kraggarenn to work in the new slave mines for obtain Mythriel.

It was also during this expansion that other cities formed. Akhsaughtlin went from a military fort to a large city. Saenendrys was a popular vacation spot due to its volcanic springs and hot spas. Alurtaga Ryld became a slave trade capital ruled by a woman only named “The Queen of Chains”. Orthaphalae was a religious center, practicing worship and a place of pilgrimage for thousands. These activities had not been ignored, and Kyrenthea viewed them from beyond the void with a broken heart.

One family, the Arkenvals, still worshipped the Drider Goddess Kyrenthea and prayed everyday for her return. It was with Lyrissa Arkenval that Kyrenthea saw hope for the Drow and blessed her with visionary visits in her dreams. Lyrissa, after seeing these visions, gathered her family and slaves and embarked on an expedition. After traveling for seven days, she founded a small church in the midst of a great granite outcropping dedicated to Kyrenthea and her husband and children. The church was named Mrimm Kyrenasham.

Through her voice, the faith of Kyrenthea spread through the empire. Many traveling to the church to recieve blessings from Lyrissa Arkenval ‘The Godspoken’. Mrimm Kyrenasham grew, and so did the faith. The Empire grew scared, its grip slowly fading into history and the Faith that Era would protect them from all dying. The Emperor, under commands of Era, ordered the execution of Lyrissa ‘The Godspoken’ for blasphemy. She was killed by assassins in her sleep, embedded with four swords and the mark of Era drawn above her bed in her own blood.

Lyrissa’s daughter, Bysilica, awoke to this horror and the followers feared what would become of them. Bysilica, a soldier and a successful military tactician, called allies to her side and declared war on the Taranossian Empire for its deeds against their faith. It was an unsettling start, with only two cities coming to her side but Bysilica’s faith remained unwavered. She called a Divine March or Holy War on Taranossian Empire.

First she tore Saenendrys apart, her attack leaving few survivors and little remaining. Later, she unsuccessfully launched a siege on Orthaphalae but won that fight through the use of plague tactics. Fearing retribution, Alurtaga Ryld freed all the slaves to Bysilica’s armies and surrendered before her forces even arrived.

The remaining Empire attempted to hold off the Horde, but the troops could do very little against the troops. Szith Krassien, one of the first cities, burned to the ground and their ruling family captured. Ahksaughtlin’s walls collapsed and their leader was hanged and paraded through the streets. City after city fell to their might, while the Empire had some victories, nothing lasting was ever blown to the Holy warriors. The only real devastating defeat to them was the failed Sieges of Ilarnoamuth, which never fell to the Divine soldiers. However, Era withdrew the First City and hid it from the rest of the Empire. Ilarnoamuth became the capital and knowing the end was near, then Empress Theodosea Aruthea Doth Mari II surrendered to the Divine Marches and dissolved the Empire.

This dissolution left its scars as the new and old lords of the Empire went for power grabs, attempting to claim the now empty Imperial Throne of Taranost. Nothing would come from this, and soon the Empire fell into infighting city-states. Eventually, peace came the cities drew their borders and lines drawn. The Taranossian Empire fell, the worship of Era ceased, the Kyrenthean Seladen became the dominate religion, and the City States were renamed to their current names. The region was named to honor their past, the region of Taranost.
    Last edited by Greg; 03-30-2017 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Even more lore

I'll give you the regrammarized version of the backstory later. I am embarassed by it because I was drunk and tired when I typed it all out. But there is English in there.

All and All, I love the map! It came out how I always pictured it!

Great map, GLS. With all those crystals and waterfalls, I'd love to see a colour version one day

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Sorry, can't rep you at the moment for this fine piece, GLS! I agree with Mouse, though: would love to see this in color eventually.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Great looking map GLS. I really like the way this all came together. The cities are interesting and the stalagmites for mountains are wonderful!

Nice map, GLS . The cities are particularly well done.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Great map, GLS. With all those crystals and waterfalls, I'd love to see a colour version one day
    Thanks, Mouse! Well, I'd like that to happen at some point with so much room to really make this underdark pop!

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Sorry, can't rep you at the moment for this fine piece, GLS! I agree with Mouse, though: would love to see this in color eventually.
    Thanks, Wired and no worries, I'm pleased you like the map! Fingers crossed about the colour too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Great looking map GLS. I really like the way this all came together. The cities are interesting and the stalagmites for mountains are wonderful!
    Thanks, Tony! I was particularly pleased witht the mountains and the cities so I'm pleased you're pleased too!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Very nice GLS!
    Thanks Kacey!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice map, GLS . The cities are particularly well done.
    Thanks Ilanthar! It's always fun experimenting around with city symbols, and I'm happy with how these ones came out!

Very nice map. I like the rather monochrome look, as it makes the linework stand out more, but I'd second (third or fourth?) the calls for a coloured version! I like the icons very much.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"